Up to 30 No 10 staff gathered indoors for PM birthday in lockdown

ITV News reports up to 30 people attended the June 2020 event, sang Happy Birthday and were served cake.

No 10 said staff had “gathered briefly” to “wish the prime minister a happy birthday”, adding that he had been there “for less than 10 minutes”.

Rules at the time banned most indoor gatherings of more than two people.

ITV News said the birthday event had taken place in the Cabinet Room just after 2pm on 19 June 2020, adding that it had been a surprise for Mr Johnson after he returned from an official trip to a school in Hertfordshire.

It also reported that family and friends had been hosted in the prime minister’s residence that evening.

But a No 10 spokesperson said: “This is totally untrue. In line with the rules at the time the prime minister hosted a small number of family members outside that evening.”

And a source also told the BBC this second gathering had involved a barbecue in the No 10 garden with members of Mr Johnson’s family.

Under the Covid restrictions in place at the time, up to six people could gather outside, in a socially distanced manner.

But gatherings inside of two or more people were still not permitted indoors, except for certain reasons such as work or education.

A source told the BBC that the prime minister’s then fiancée, Carrie Symonds, had organised the cake served in the Cabinet Room and arrived at the event with Lulu Lytle, the interior designer who carried out a revamp of the couple’s Downing Street flat.

They also said some sandwiches and picnic food had been arranged and that there was no discussion about social distancing, with up to 30 people in attendance.

A blatant disregard of the rules at the time … :scream_cat:

BJ might try to play it down but plainly Ms BJ cares as much about rules as he does - they’re a pair of self-obsessed parasites and their attitude has, evidently, been adopted by their “staff” … :angry:

The numbers involved will, hopefully, be revealed by No 10’s security records … :open_mouth:

This latest exposé will surely be the straw that breaks the camel’s back … :dromedary_camel:

I dunno, he’s Teflon and I don’t think some of his supporters care if he lacks integrity or not

Is he now Two Birthday Bash Boris like Two Jags Prescott?

My Uncle had to celebrate his 100th birthday with just fish and chips with his daughter and the granddaughter who were in his bubble

He’d have loved 10 minutes with 30 friends and family or drinks with a few friends and family in the garden

Carrie even invited their interior decorator? for gawd’s sake ……:rage:

I remember the June 2020 rules quite clearly because I couldn’t celebrate my Birthday either, apart from a brief garden visit from 1 son, his wife and 2 grandchildren.
I didn’t realise then that there was two sets of rules - I followed the rules for the “hoi polloi” and was not allowed to invite my guests indoors.

“A person will be able to lawfully participate in an outdoor public gathering of up to six people and an indoor public gathering of up to two people.
Anyone in breach of these rules was guilty of a criminal offence.”

1 Like

Hi

Boris has said he will not go without a fight.

Loads of Junior Officers have been told they will be thrown to the Wolves to protect him.

They would lose their jobs and their Pensions to protect him.

A stupid mistake by Boris, they have nothing to lose now.

They will have a go.

1 Like

Are people really surprised it happened, the guys an arse.

1 Like

Apparently, 10 people working in Number 10 (in a covid bubble) got a cake for Boris Johnson and sang happy birthday to him. Boris was there for about 10 minutes before he went back to work.

There are loads of people who work in number 10 but for some reason the media think its all Boris Johnsons house and only him and Carrie live there, The PM only has the flat in Number 10, the rest of it is workspace for over 100 people at least.

At least Hesteltine admits what the real motive behind getting rid of Johnson is

… besides I don’t really care what Boris Johnson has done, nothing would deserve a labour government.

Looks more likely he didn’t believe a word Sage were saying either,

Can I offer an alternative narrative here, please?

This “party” was really a meeting that went on for so long that refreshments were bought in (I’ve read there were sarnies and other nibbles provided). Then as the meeting wrapped up, in walked Carrie carrying a b’day cake. Could this not be construed as yet another “nibble”?

Police officers investigating the Partygate scandal have reportedly been handed a photo of Boris Johnson holding a can of beer at his lockdown birthday party in June 2020.

The picture features the Prime Minister raising a can of Estrella standing next to Chancellor Rishi Sunak in the Downing Street Cabinet Room as he toasts towards the camera, according to the Mirror.

The newspaper reports that a source said the photograph was taken by Mr Johnson’s taxpayer-funded official photographer Andrew Parsons and has now been turned over to investigators.

The image is thought to be one of the 300 photos compiled by Sue Gray who was leading the inquiry into the scandal which have now been handed to the Metropolitan Police.

The Prime Minister is believed to appear in some of the 300 photos now in the hands of the Met with an earlier report claiming Mr Johnson was pictured in front of some wine bottles.

Other images gathered by Sue Gray are thought to include security footage which show when certain people arrived and left each gathering that is being investigated.

Every little bit hurts … :bookmark_tabs: