Unvaccinated woman denied kidney transplant

For religious reasons ?
Covid none withstanding there is definitely a virus of stupidity in some people .

2 Likes

She will never find another hospital to do it, I don’t think. The medical staff’s reasons are valid. Its a terrible situation to be in, and I feel for her, but to go through with the op, only for her to have chances of survival reduced due to her being unvaccinated, is not something anyone would want to risk.

1 Like

…but if she is found to be negative of Covid and is not asymptomatic why is it a problem?
Or am l not thinking sensibly?

Well, given the arduous nature of the operation and the fact her immune system would be utterly compromised…the chances of her catching any bug, is increased ten fold. I just don’t think its a risk the medical folk are willing to take. Even if she changed her mind and had the jab now…her immune system would be ramped up to cope with the vaccination, so making it more vulnerable to infections after the operation.

Religious reason or not, if anyone chose not to be vaccinated, I’m sure it would be the same result.

1 Like

I don’t have a flu injection. Would l be treated the same?

I wouldn’t think so… :woman_shrugging: in this case, it only applies to the Covid vaccination…This is America though…who knows!

1 Like

I see it does not mention why she is not vaccinated but being American she probably believes one of the many conspiracy theories so beloved by neighbours across the water.
She surely should have known that she needed to be vaccinated prior to surgery if not why not as I would have assumed she would have been informed by her healthcare provider?

1 Like

Interesting to note though, that the donor is also unvaccinated. I wonder if that was part of the woman’s request? That she receive an unvaccinated organ, should one become available? Religious reasons is why she isn’t vaccinated.

1 Like

Sorry what does that mean?

It means that she chose not to get vaccinated because of her religious beliefs.

Ahhh…but the donor kidney comes from someone who hasn’t been vaccinated…

Happy to take someone’s kidney but not a vaccination?
I wonder what her religion is that makes such a distinction?

Am l right in thinking that the unvaccinated donor is able to donate her kidney without being vaccinated?

I really don’t know…but it seems to be available anyway :woman_shrugging: I don’t know about medical things in america…but she’ll be getting charged for it anyway, no matter the situation so I don’t think they bother about things like that. Good point though!

I can understand that as my daughter was asked to have her 2nd Covid vaccination before they would begin her Chemotherapy. Hospitals have to be very careful as we have seen, many patients have low or little immune systems after operations and are therefore much more vulnerable to catching any other disease.

2 Likes

oh the anti vaxxers will have a field day with this one.

Like someone said…she won’t have the vaccine yet will have a foreign kidney inside her? Yes, the kidney could save her life but so could having the vaccine.

A rule is a rule, there should be no exceptions to the rule unless of a known definite danger.

It’s a bit like people will put alcohol and drugs in their bodies knowing the danger yet they won’t take the vaccine because they don’t know what’s in it? Eh, like they know what’s in those street drugs, yeah, ok.

1 Like