Under Kitchen Sink Water Heater?

A year, or so, ago I bought & installed a Reginox Under Sink Water Heater.

Works quite well as you can just stick a coffee, or tea, cup under the outlet, and you get boiling water out.

So far, so good!

However, I just read that the built in filter needs to be changed every 3 to 6 months.

The best price I can find (Reginox Amanzi filter) is £22.49, for one filter, or a special price, of £69.99 for three filters.

So, on top of the over £300 to buy the device, I can now see a cost 60 to 120 quid a year to keep it going!

I should have checked that little item, when I bought it at Costco.

Still, it saves me from filling a kettle!

:sweat_drops: :family_man_woman_girl_girl:

2 Likes

I saw them advertised on TV and thought they were really good - UNTIL I saw the refillable bit. Not for me thanks, I’ll stick with me kettle :smiley:

2 Likes

Ted, My friend had one installed when he had a new kitchen installed. .
When l’m there and he tells me to help myself to a cup of tea, l usually decline as it scares me to death!
I am getting better but the ferocity and the terrific speed that the boiling hot water comes out, is terrifying!

1 Like

I might try running it without the filter!

That’s a thought!

Art,

I think that ferocity might have gone as my filter has been in a long time!

Will experiment!

What is the point of the filter? I have often thought of having one installed at home similar to the ones at my old workplace, they are everywhere these days, so much better than the old urns. These don’t have a filter

“special price” … Hmmmm

1 Like

We had a Quooker boiling water tap installed with our new kitchen nearly seven years ago and has continued completely attention free since then, a wonderful device and only costs around 3p a day to run. I was very sceptical at first but would never want to go back to boiling kettles now.

1 Like

I’ve come to this thread belatedly, but would like to ask a question… or two.

Marge has been singing their praises: at least I assume we are talking about the same thing. The ones we were thinking about are water containers that fit under the sink and attach to the incoming water main and feed out to a tap on the top which can be adjusted for cold, hot or boiling water.
Same thing?
Why do they need a filter? Our kettle doesn’t need one.
Are they left turned on permanently? Wouldn’t that become expensive, especially if they are not used for a lengthy period of time?
What sort of maintenance do they need? And finally -
We have a granite worktop, so I’d rather not have any holes drilled now it is in place. Can the outlet be fitted to a standard-sized hole for our tap?
Thanks for any help.

@JBR Yes we are talking the same thing.

Our unit doesn’t have a filter and is completely maintenance free. The boiling water is supplied by an insulated pressure flask under the sink connected to the incoming main, and supplies cold, hot and boiling water on demand. Yes they are left on permanently and we reckon the running costs around 3 to 4 pence per day for our average use. The trick of the unit being that cold water only replaces the water used, so the temperature of the incoming is immediately raised by the existing flask contents so that the heat needed to raise the whole contents of the flask back to 100deg. is minimal.
Oh and yes, the tap fits a standard worktop hole. :+1:

1 Like

Purely guess work, but you have easy access to the interior of your kettle to get rid of limescale, but not the inside of the water heater. Also the filter removes any unwanted taste from the tapwater.

When I worked in a bar around 1980, we had a new soft drink dispenser fitted. And it worked great apart from one thing. The taste of the drinks it dispensed. The company fitted a filter to the water supply & eveyone loved it.

1 Like

In the manual, for mine it says, something like, “the filter is required to remove any impurities, from the water supply, so that users experience the joy of drinking pure water” - or words to that effect!

Can’t find my paperwork to see if having a filter is a “requirement” for the Warranty!

As for the hole, in the worktop, my 3 in 1 fitted into the hole already there, replacing the ordinary sink top tap.

The actual feed, to the three outlets, is four thinnish pipes two of which are silicon feed & return for the filter…

You’d have to check the requirements before purchase.

1 Like

Thanks, all three of you.

Just one final question: do I tell Marge or keep it quiet?

@JBR That depends on whether you want to spend that kind of dough!

Ours is the “Fusion” model and cost around £700 fitted six years ago… :flushed:

Hell of a present though, she’d love it!

Thanks Barry.
I’ve been looking and see that they range from, say, £250 upwards + fitting.

I assume that the hot water pipe would just need capping off then, because neither the washing machine or the dishwasher uses hot water.

On my one the hot & cold water comes through the new tap head, as before, so that you can still do the washing up, etc., and there is a third pipe, through the same tap unit, which provides filtered boiling water for tea/coffee/anywhere in which boiling water is required.

Normal hot & cold water is switched on and off by a tap built into the unit, on the right.

The boiling water has a special safe tap on the left of the tap unit.

That sounds a good compromise.
I’m not sure exactly how we’d use such an arrangement, but I suppose I’d find out by trial and error. I suppose that if I need a fairly large amount of warm water, I could just run the hot water from the central heating boiler as now, but if I just need a small amount of hot water quickly then use the boiling water option (plus some cold if too hot!). :laughing:
Yes, we might end up buying one. I know Marge really wants one and if, as some have said, it costs only a few pence every day to keep the thing going/heated up, it wouldn’t break the bank.

1 Like

No @JBR , the hot water is still the hot water, the unit only produces the boiling water and uses the existing hot/cold feeds for the others. :blush:

Yes, that’s how we use ours. :+1:

1 Like

Just did the first change of filter, on mine, should be every 3-6 months - this was the first time (after being installed for, about, 2 years!

What a difference!

Pressure up, about double, coffee & tea taste so much better.

Another lesson learned!

:sweat_drops:

I’ve been wondering about the need for filtration.
We don’t filter our water when we drink it. It comes straight from the tap.
We don’t filter the water when we boil the kettle.
Is the water supply in some parts of the country not too good?