UK to move backwards to useless imperial measures

In the 1980s worked in a couple of power stations then run by the Electricity Commission of NSW (ECNSW), they were built in the 1950s and the instrumentation was of that era, everything was measured in imperial, psi, tons, Fahrenheit, gallons etc.

Later I worked for BHP on similar plant of similar vintage, largely bought secondhand from the ECNSW, but all the instrumentation had been converted to kpa, Celsius, tonnes, litres etc

1 Like

I don’t think it matters which units you use as long as you have the ability to convert should it be necessary. It doesn’t make any difference to us plebs, except it’s usually done for some sort of monetary benefit for the establishment.

Just leave paces alone, or else :astonished:

I am not sure about that.

Occasionally when my kids help me I might say something silly like, “Move it about an inch toward me.” The object in question could move anything from a centimetre to a metre, they have absolutely no concept of imperial measures at all.

My daughter once asked me, “What are lumbs and ozzies?” when she was browsing one of my old cook books - since then all cook books that I used to have with imperial measures have long gone to make cardboard.

Personally I cannot longer remember whether there are 14 oz to the lb or 16, I vaguely remember that those two numbers have something to do with it. I also remember that there is about 7kpa to 1psi but being forced to use metric was the best thing that happened to this country, no half baked using both concurrently - all references to imperial measurements were banned. I hated it at the time but they knew what was best for me :grin: and they were right.

1 Like

Who are “They” though?

an inch is the end of your thumb.

I can work with imperial and metric equally well. There have even been times when I’ve made a measurement in inches and thought, ‘that’s so many inches plus a fraction’ and used that to cut wood to size. It really doesn’t matter to me providing the result fits, which it always does.

As a point of possible interest, I’ve got a Mrs Beeton’s ‘All About Cookery’ book. Not a 1st edition but printed in 1909. All recipes in pounds and ounces naturally. A valued heirloom now because our Mother used it. Might have got it from her Mother.

1 Like
1 Like

Excellent, I’m a fan of this chap’s videos. “No Jason, no, the American pint will have a different number of fluid ounces because its a bigger pint for a bigger country”

I thought this was about bringing back the Churchill pint of Champagne which was reportedly banned by the EU. They have abandoned the return to the rest of imperial measures.

The move away from imperial had nothing to do with the EU and all about having standard measurements in the world that everyone understands. Metrics were introduced pre joining the EC. Having two systems was confusing and great for scams by sellers.

2 Likes

As I said…The media winding everybody up. That’s why I don’t watch, read, or follow the news anymore…

I remember years ago somebody brought an early console game into the workshop. Just a simple ‘bat and ball’ sort of thing. It had a button on it called ‘English’. When it was pressed, the ball would go shooting off at an unexpected angle. The implication for us was that you never know what the English are going to do. Gave us all a good laugh. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Our milkman delivers milk and orange juice to our door. A pint of milk and ml orange juice. It’s not a problem, just different units.

1 Like

But people want to be wound up by the media. It wouldn’t do to let the plebs know the truth, could cause problems. MSM with all the papers printing (more or less) the same thing is a tried & tested solution. It’s the political divide that brings us together.

1 Like

No OGF in this case it was a government u turn on a promise made by Bojo.

1 Like

It’s down to the digital £ and the need for clickbait. On the other side convenient to ensure more relevant news is made to “disappear”

1 Like

with an element of rogue stories, a pint of wine, to let the reader know he can’t be fooled.

1 Like

But they didn’t print the whole story did they… :009:
Only the bits to make you angry…

What was the Johnson promise that wasn’t delivered? There are quite a few to chose from…

I read it in the paper version so it wasn’t clickbait. It’s worth buying a paper while we still can. At least that way you can choose what to read rather than some AI algo reading your mind and shoving a story at you.

1 Like