UK set to have world's biggest automated drone superhighway

The drones will be used on the 164-mile Skyway project connecting towns and cities, including Cambridge and Rugby. It is part of a £273m funding package for the aerospace sector which will be revealed by Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng on Monday. Other projects include drones delivering mail to the Isles of Scilly and medication across Scotland.

Dave Pankhurst, director of drones at BT, told the BBC that Skyway is about scaling up trials that have been taking place around the UK. “This drone capability has existed for quite some time, but is in its infancy in terms of being actually part of our society and being a usable application,” he said. “So for us, this is about taking a significant step towards that point. It’s going to open up so many opportunities.”

Skyway aims to connect the airspace above Reading, Oxford, Milton Keynes, Cambridge, Coventry and Rugby by mid-2024, and will receive more than £12m.

The Royal Mail has said it wants a fleet of 500 drones to carry mail to remote UK communities
Mr Pankhurst said the project was working alongside the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) to ensure safety. “The way they work as an organisation is very evidence-based,” he said. “Safety is just paramount in this industry, but importantly, nothing happens without the regulator actually signing it off. The CAA is part of all of these future flight projects. It is part of all of these activities, validating the progress and making sure they’re safe.”

The future is now … :+1:

2 Likes

“It is part of a £273m funding package…”

I wonder why the government don’t just let these people (the ones who will profit from it) fund their own research and development?

4 Likes

Shooting the buggers down…Better than clay pigeon shooting…
More jobs lost to technology. I’m beginning to wonder what good will humans be in the future.

Why should the government worry Ted, it’s not their money is it…

1 Like

Government must have some involvement, more control, drone police patrols next.

1 Like

If it helps stop crime and find missing kids/people, then I’m all for it. However, if they are in my face they will be swatted away like a bothersome fly!

1 Like

I did wonder at the Royal Mail wishing for 500 hundred of these things to deliver mail though…:thinking:

Have you seen a fly that size?

1 Like

I live in Scotland…we have giant weird beasties of the likes you will never see! :joy:
And just because those drones have bird faces, doesn’t mean anyone will like them more. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

They already fit cameras to birds, some might see that as an option.

If these things are controlled, electronically, from bases, on the ground, how long will it be before the hackers start using them for their own amusement/weaponry?

“Not possible”, I hear them shout!

1 Like

What could possibly go wrong with this lunatic idea?

2 Likes

Indeed.