UK: Prices of pasta, tea, chips and cooking oil soar

I will when l have more time and no places to go, or people to see! :laughing:

2 Likes

You didnā€™t say that you only bought them when on offer.

Other consumers may have to (or prefer to) buy Tetley 240 bags of tea every week, regardless of cost.

IIRC youā€™ll get that done pdq.

1 Like

Then they need to be more savvy. Who drinks away 240 teabags in a week?

Or, apparently, supermarkets to visit ā€¦ :laughing:

1 Like

Big families.

You can look online at the prices the supermarkets are charging. There used to be a great supermarket comparison site but it closed down some years ago.
Now thereā€™s another one but itā€™s not great.

Ah, so you have the time to click on supermarket sites ā€¦ :astonished:

That are at home all day and up all night?

How would I know?

I donā€™t understand the antagonism towards the poster of this fact-based bit of information.
The ONS track all sorts of info to keep track of cost of living, inflation etc - if it doesnā€™t interest someone, they can just ignore it, instead of being shirty and ā€œshooting the messengerā€ !

I find info like this interesting and useful.

I have noticed a large increase in the price of tea bags in recent months, so I do try to wait until I see my favourite tea-bags on offer - even my sister who is not a cost-conscious shopper mentioned to me that her Lady Grey teabags had nearly doubled in price.

I donā€™t use vegetable oil much but I was reading a business finance article about the impact of rising cost of vegetable oil on some types of cooked food outlets.
Apparently thereā€™s been a shortage of vegetable oils for some time, arising from multiple factors, which has driven up the price - poor harvests in South America, Labour shortages due to Covid, lack of supply from Ukraine which is usually a big exporter.

1 Like

I canā€™t understand why itā€™s not obvious to anyone why Art has to go through 240 tea bags in a week. Sadly, she canā€™t afford to use the tumble drier any more to dry out the used ones, ready for recycling them. Add in the cost of ironing them too!! Itā€™s a no-brainer.

Boot, l wish you wouldnā€™t use you TL3 capacity every time l post on a thread that you are not agreement with my views.
It puts me off, deters me from posting and spoils my enjoyment of the siteā€¦
Please try to use your position to be more impartial.

1 Like

Apparently:

So, if my calculations are correct (240/4=60; 60/7=8.6) a family unit of 9 (tea-drinkers) would get through 240 Tetley tea bags a week ā€¦ :115:

Omah, I would have loved to have replied butā€¦ itā€™s best l exit this thread.
I did enjoy the thread though. Thank You.

1 Like

I have never used the ā€œTL3 capacityā€ in my life! - I donā€™t know how to!
I just post my opinion on threads as a regular poster, like everybody else.
I didnā€™t realise that every poster on here who happens to have that TL3 level must remain impartial and is no longer allowed to express an opinion - if thatā€™s the case, then the debates would get a bit boring!

Please donā€™t let me put you off posting just because I am posting my personal opinion - my opinion has no more ā€œofficial standingā€, weight or importance than yours - on threads, we are all equal. :kissing_heart:

Oh contraire. Youā€™re more like a chopsticks to my Grande Polonaise. :wink::yum::joy::joy:

Tetley pricebuster:

Tetley: Original 240 Tea Bags (50% Extra Free)

Ā£3.49

I wonder if people are buying cooking oil to use as fuel in their diesels.It would certainly put the price up if the establishment cotton on to what they are doing.

Anyone who shops at Tesco and uses a loyalty card will benefit from some very good discounts on selected items.

Just sounding off in shock here but in Asdas a can of Princes Stewed Steak is Ā£2.60!

Horrified :scream: I fancied a plate pie like granny made and it always used to be a budget meal. I add some fried onion and a stock cube, dash of Worcester etc to make it nice. Home made pastry.

But Ā£2.60 and thatā€™s mostly gravy. Iā€™ll look in Farmfoods to see if theyā€™ve got it cheaper, but thatā€™s ridiculous