UK: Prices of pasta, tea, chips and cooking oil soar

The price of pasta, tea, chips and cooking oil has soared, according to new data, with vegetable oil going up by 65% in a year. Overall, the price of budget food in supermarkets rose by 17% in the year to September, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

Inflation is at a 40-year high, with prices up 10.1% in a year. Food prices drove the latest rise in living costs in September, along with energy bills and transport costs.

The ONS found sharp increases in the price of some household staples in supermarkets. Pasta prices rose by 60% in the year to September 2022, while tea prices went up by almost 50%. Other everyday items such as chips, bread, biscuits and milk also recorded large increases. But some other items fell in price during the period, including orange juice and beef mince.

The data measures the change in price of 30 everyday grocery items across seven supermarkets.

The rise in the cost of groceries has been accelerated by the war in Ukraine, which has disrupted grain, oil and fertiliser supplies from the region.

That is much worse than I expected. I don’t buy tea, chips or vegetable oil regularly but the costs of other “staples” that I buy have increased 10%-25%.

I don`t know of anything that hasnt gone up Omah.
The biggest shock was Morrisons 6 packet of tomatoes that went up from 66p to 99p within 10 days,they can keep them.
And minced beef has shot up too along with all that you have listed.
And the least i say about fuel the better,it is a disgrace.

1 Like

That is the only choice you have, even goods reduced are pricier. Set a budget limit, we cannot eat as much anyway, and have managed reasonably well except for cat food and vet’s bill.

1 Like

Hope the supermarkets help the food banks this year, they will need support more than ever.

Butter is ridiculous at ÂŁ7 and ÂŁ8 a tub

Noticed that , only butter one slice of bread for sandwiches, and reduced the quantity in recipes.

To be honest, apart from diesel, I haven’t noticed much difference.
We buy roughly the same things each week, and I pay for our Tesco shop with my credit card. I enter all of my purchases with the card onto the computer, so I’ve just checked back to September last year and for the month it came to £360.61 and for the same period this September it came to £344.05…
What’s the fuss?

1 Like

Most of the food on that list isn’t good for you anyway … Pizza, chips, cooking oil, bread and butter. So maybe it’s a ruse to make us eat more healthily, or sparingly?

I bought Tetley 240 bags of tea only a few weeks ago and they were £3 in Asda and Morrison’s.

1 Like

I suspect the BBC getting up to their usual tricks of fearmongering Arty… :009:

1 Like

I never understand the price of tomatoes. I think they are always overpriced.
Even when it’s the tomato season here, the prices for them never come down.
I always grow them and this year l have loads and loads, so l freeze them to use in cooking.

3 Likes

It’s an article based on a detailed ONS report:

Tracking the price of the lowest-cost grocery items, UK, experimental analysis: April 2021 to September 2022

2.Price changes for lowest-cost items
Using innovative analytical methods to track the lowest-priced grocery items
With rising prices seen across many goods and services, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) has looked at the question of how prices of everyday grocery items have changed for the lowest-cost products.

To try to answer this, we have updated previously published analysis, where we applied new and highly experimental methods, making use of web-scraped supermarket data to capture the price changes of everyday grocery items.

From April 2021 to September 2022, online grocery price quotes were collected from seven major supermarket retailers’ websites. Prices were assessed for 30 everyday food and drink items, covering fresh fruit and vegetables, cupboard staples, chilled products, as well as meat and fish.

2 Likes

Omah, It would be really good if you could put the proper words in your posts and threads, instead of always using initials.
You might know what they stand for but l can’t be bothered to always be googling them.

2 Likes

Office for National Statistics.

Anyway, man cannot live on burger à l’orange alone.

3 Likes

Currently at Asda:

https://groceries.asda.com/product/everyday-tea/tetley-original-240-tea-bags/32744

No need to Google them - the graphic shows the full title and the article gives the full title, plus the abbreviations in brackets.

You could always click the link … :wink:

Where though Omah?
London? Edinburgh? Leeds? Stainforth?

Tracking the price of the lowest-cost grocery items, UK, experimental analysis: April 2021 to September 2022

Web scraping

Web scraping is the activity or process of taking information from a website. During the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) developed web-scraping capability as part of a previous project, which is explained in our Online price changes for high-demand products methodology. This work was expanded to cover a wider range of grocery products.

Back to table of contents

8.Measuring the data

Data sources and quality

The data presented in this article is experimental. More information on experimental statistics is available in our guide to experimental statistics.

The web-scraped data have been collected from seven grocery retailers: Asda, the Co-op, Iceland, Morrisons, Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Waitrose. Co-op data was not available and not included in the estimates from May 2022 onwards because of changes introduced to the Co-op website. However, this change showed minimal impact because of the small weight allocated to Co-op. More details on retailer weights are available in Section 8: Measuring the data.

For each item and retailer, the price of the lowest-priced product available was selected (after adjusting for the size of the product) over time to see how it changed.

Anyone with sense would buy them when they are on offer. They always have a long sell by date on them.
£3.95 or more has always been their price when they aren’t on offer.
Even Amazon have them on for ÂŁ3.00.
Some other supermarkets have them on at ÂŁ3.50.

1 Like

Did they use the internet in 1970 Omah?