UK: Nadine Dorries: Latest: Voting taking place in Mid Bedfordshire by-election

The former culture secretary and close ally of Boris Johnson said she was standing down “with immediate effect” after “something significant” happened to change her mind.

Dorries resignation came ahead of the publication of Mr Johnson’s own resignation honours list. Ms Dorries had been expected to be nominated for an honour, but she was not included on the list.

Earlier on Friday, she told TalkTV: “I don’t believe I will be going into the House of Lords any time soon,” she said, adding that she had not been contacted by anybody in No 10 about the honours list.

Ms Dorries said “something significant did happen to change my mind” about remaining an MP, but she would not give further details.

She said she now had “other priorities”, including her granddaughter and media career as a presenter on TalkTV and columnist for the Daily Mail.

Nadine Dorries is a close ally of Boris Johnson. When Mr Johnson entered Downing Street he made her a health minister before appointing her as culture secretary in September 2021.

She left government last September when Mr Johnson stepped down as prime minister. Since then she has been a strong critic of current Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and has hit out at those who sought to oust Mr Johnson.

Who can forget this intimate moment:

Is Dorries now a woman scorned … :question:

Do wonder why she did not finish her term instead of not standing for reelection.

1 Like

Indeed … perhaps she was peeved at Patel’s elevation to the peerage and is getting back at the Tory party by forcing a by-elelction.

1 Like

Is it as simple as being peeved because she didn’t get honours, then?

Maybe, she always struck me as shallow, slightly thick, woman, so petty revenge it is then

She should have listened to my granny’s advice about not making yourself too available and openly adoring of men like Boris, they prefer a challenge!

Just look at that photo, soppy cow!

Or maybe she’s in the WhatsApp’s?

2 Likes

I think it’s wrong that anyone linked to partygate should receive an honour. Grrrrr

3 Likes

Think Boris resigning answers the question why Nadine has resigned.

2 Likes

Yes - where Johnson leads, Dorries follows!
Sycophancy extraordinaire!

Good riddance to both of them, I say! :grinning:

3 Likes

Exactly. He is a lying toad. She is thicker than a 2 inch plank of wood. Sorry, thicker than that. Oh, and Johnson is worse than a lying toad. He is bad at lying as well.
Bye bye, don’t come back.

2 Likes

Ms Dorries was one of three Johnson allies who believed they were in line to receive a peerage from the outgoing prime minister - but when the list was finally published, their names were absent.

Following the perceived snub, Ms Dorries announced she would stand down as an MP with “immediate effect”, triggering a by-election in her constituency of Mid Bedfordshire.

Writing for the Daily Mail, Ms Dorries accused those close to Mr Sunak of playing “political games” and that her “absence from the list was deliberate”.

“In the meeting Boris had with Rishi Sunak - a meeting Number 10 initially denied to journalists had taken place - I was told that the PM had indeed assured Boris that he would, in keeping with convention, sign off the list returned to him from Holac,” she wrote. “What he didn’t say - and what I understand to be true despite denials from those concerned - is that his political secretary, James Forsyth, had made sure that certain names would not be on the Holac list.”

“It is my belief that when Rishi Sunak told Boris Johnson he would sign off the list returned to him by Holac, he was using weasel words,” she said. "He already knew who was and wasn’t on that list because he had engineered it via his aide Forsyth.

“I’m not going to lie. I believe sinister forces conspired against me and have left me heartbroken - but that emotion gives me all the strength I need to keep on fighting.”

Ah, so it was “Slippery” Sunak who disappointed Dorries … :thinking:

Dozy Nadine could of course ask herself why she believed the word of the serial liar Johnson. That error seems the most obvious cause of her disappointment.

2 Likes

And actual people voted for her to be their MP. That’s scary.

I’ve never read Harry Potter but it sounds like she may have.

2 Likes

Former cabinet minister Nadine Dorries has not yet officially resigned as an MP, putting a by-election to replace her on hold - to the frustration of the Conservative Party.

Last Friday, Ms Dorries - a close ally of Mr Johnson - said she would resign her Mid Bedfordshire seat, with immediate effect. > But she is yet to tender her official resignation. This is done by writing to the Chancellor Jeremy Hunt.

The Conservatives - who are trailing Labour in national polls - wanted to conclude swift campaigns before Parliament’s summer recess and for any political pain from the by-elections to be short and sharp. But if Ms Dorries keeps her party waiting, she could force them into a potentially divisive by-election later on - for example, ahead of the autumn party conference season.

And in the meantime, as she remains a member of Parliament, she can turn up in the House of Commons chamber to make her views known. Anything she says would be covered by parliamentary privilege, allowing her to be outspoken on any issue, without fear of legal consequences.

The report on whether Mr Johnson misled MPs over lockdown parties is expected to be published later this week and debated by MPs soon after. If she so chooses, Ms Dorries could take part in that debate. It is not clear what her intentions are, though.

Will she :bomb: or will she :exploding_head:

This is very funny, Dorries said she would resign in support of Johnson - probably expected a great avalanche of similar tory MP resignations. No doubt expecting this because Johnson told her this was going to happen. Or lied to her as we more accurately describe the verb. And dozy Dorries believed him and started shouting about resigning. Oops. Bit premature Nadine.
Or did Johnson promise her that peerage … oops. Promise. Lie. Same thing, no?

3 Likes

Nadine Dorries has missed the deadline to resign in order for a by-election to take place in her constituency before Parliament’s summer recess. The Conservative MP said on 9 June she would stand down from her Mid Bedfordshire seat with immediate effect, but has not yet formally done so.

In order for a poll to take place on 20 July, a writ to the returning officer should have been sent by 21 June. The BBC understands it is still technically possible for a by-election to take place over the summer if Ms Dorries resigns in the next month.

“Mad Nads” is, apparently, all talk and no trousers … :roll_eyes:

Hi

I rather think it is a deliberate action by her to embarrass the Government by having two byelection days, twice the bad news over a longer period.

3 Likes

Former culture secretary Nadine Dorries has confirmed she will “definitely be gone” as the MP for Mid Bedfordshire before the next general election.

Ms Dorries said the reason she had not yet stood down, despite announcing she was doing so on 9 June, was due to some outstanding documents.

“I’ll be gone long before the next general election,” she said on Talk TV, during an interview with Vanessa Feltz.

Speaking to Ms Feltz, the close ally of Mr Johnson, spoke about the committee of MPs which recently found he misled Parliament over Covid breaches at No 10. (1)

(1) See Dorries named in ‘contempt of parliament’ report

The polling by Opinium, seen by the Telegraph, will shock nervy Tory MPs, many of whom have already announced they are standing down at the next election likely to dodge an embarrassing defeat.

A fresh YouGov poll last week found support for Rishi Sunak’s party had fallen to 22% - the lowest its been in four months and only three points higher than its lowest this parliament after Liz Truss’s disastrous mini-budget.

It showed 47% of people are in favour of Keir Starmer’s party, giving him a 25-point lead, as Brits lose faith in Mr Sunak’s government in the wake of soaring inflation and the continuing cost of living crisis.

That would be somewhat embarrassing for “Slippery” Sunak … :037:

Embarrassing for Dorries too as it confirms that those she served in her constituency have not been impressed. Nadine, no-one is impressed with you.

1 Like

Nadine Dorries last spoke in the House of Commons on the 7th July 2022, when she was the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, and was speaking about support for leisure centres in the cost of living crisis.

In that time LBC analysis has shown that she may have earned £144,538.91.

Ms Dorries earned:

• £84,754 in her capacity as a Member of Parliament
  • A Ministerial Salary during the ‘interim’ government of Boris Johnson of £11,281.66 for 61 days work
  • A partial advance for a new book from Harper Collins of £20,500 for work between April and May of this year
  • Royalties of £10,647 in royalties for book sales

Meanwhile, if Ms Dorries claimed her ministerial severance package that would equate to an additional £16,876.25 – giving a total combined remuneration – since she last spoke in Parliament – of £144,538.91.

“Shirker” Dorries is not in the MP earnings super-league - an extra month or two of salary will come in handy. It’s no wonder that “Mad Nads” is hanging on.

That figure is expected to rise further, as the Mid Bedfordshire MP has not so-far declared any earnings from her work as a presenter at TalkTV and a weekly columnist at the Daily Mail.

1 Like

Oh Gawd, is the silly moo still hanging in in there?

Come on girl, get your snout out that trough, you did promise……

2 Likes