UK : Matt Hancock broke government rules over I’m a Celebrity stint

It was always rock bottom!
Bring back New Faeces and Opportunity Knocks.
Loved the clapometer!

2 Likes

I think all wannabe tories should be made to spend a fortnight downunder … sort out the men from the boys.

1 Like

The former health secretary may be exempt from some of the show’s famed Bushtucker Trials because he apparently has trench foot.

My old Dad would have said “It’s far from Yer arse so You won’t have to sit on it”

I wouldn’t know.

There is something about Matt that makes me feel uncomfortable, kudos for doing the challenges and getting the food but he just doesn’t seem to fit in, he is like the rich friend of a friend that has turned up at your party…he doesn’t really know anyone or what they are discussing and unable to relate to their lives…I still don’t like him.

1 Like

Aw. Such a shame, since he’s going to be your future son in law.

Is he?

Matt Hancock breached the government’s business appointment rules by not consulting the watchdog before appearing on I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here!, the chair of the Advisory Committee on Business Appointments (Acoba) has said.

In a letter to the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, Oliver Dowden, Eric Pickles wrote: “I am writing to you in my capacity as chair of the Advisory Committee on Business Appointments to bring to your attention a breach of the government’s business appointment rules. Mr Hancock did not seek Acoba’s advice before signing up to two television series, ITV’s I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here! and Channel 4’s SAS: Who Dares Wins.”

However, it was recommended that no further action should be taken.

Lord Pickles added: “It is a matter for you to decide what appropriate action to take. However, given the transparent nature of Mr Hancock’s role which is limited to appearing on [these] shows (not dealing with the commercial aspect of Channel 4 or ITV business) I believe it would be disproportionate to take any further action in the case.”

But Lord Pickles dismissed the former health secretary’s claims that his failure to consult Acoba before appearing on I’m a Celebrity … did not breach government rules.

“The rules are clear that an application is required where individuals plan a series of media activities and it is for Acoba to assess the associated risks,” he wrote in the letter. As such, failing to seek and await advice before these roles were announced or taken up in this case is a breach of the government’s rules and the requirements set out in the ministerial code.”

Hancock willl be laughing all the way to the bank … :roll_eyes:

Hancock is due to land in London on Wednesday after flying back from filming the ITV show. He wants to remain an MP, according to his spokesman - but he is suspended from the Tory whip and faces a battle to have it restored.

Ian Houlder, a Conservative councillor in Mr Hancock’s West Suffolk constituency, wants party chiefs to rule out a comeback. He told the Mirror: “I just hope they say, ‘No, mate, you’re out - use the next couple of years to find yourself something else to do because as an MP on behalf of the Tories, you’re finished, end of story’. Round here if he stood as an independent he wouldn’t stand a chance.”

On Monday night, Newmarket Town Council in Matt Hancock’s constituency all voted ‘Yes’ to pass a motion calling for the MP’s resignation, except one independent councillor who abstained from the vote. A spokesperson told the Mirror: “Newmarket Town Council calls for the resignation of the MP of West Suffolk by writing to him and publicising this on social media.”

Tory MPs have been given until next Monday (December 5) to decide whether they want to stand for re-election.

Hancock’s return to his constituency will be … interesting … :wink:

I assumed Hancock had already sussed his political career would be over by the time the next election came round - I presumed that was why he had started doing other things to make money, while his “fame” or “notoriety” was still fresh in people’s minds - hence his agreeing to take part in I’m a Celebrity plus publishing a book about
“ Pandemic Diaries: The inside story of Britain’s battle against Covid” - which is due to be published next week (what a coincidence!) :wink:

I guess his time in the Jungle will have paid him at least the equivalent of 4 or 5 years MP’s salary, plus whatever income he gets from the book - that should give him time to find another sinecure to profit from. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Matt Hancock - Superhero

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Haha! This photo made me laugh :joy:

1 Like

Supermatt takes on The Pandemic … :rofl:

1 Like

Matt Hancock’s I’m A Celeb stint prompts move to block other MPs from heading to the jungle

MPs could be barred from appearing on reality TV shows in the future, following Matt Hancock’s appearance on I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!

The Liberal Democrats are taking action to prevent any other MPs from being part of reality TV shows. The party has tabled a new parliamentary motion, dubbed “Bushtucker Bill”, to stop elected members appearing on programmes like I’m A Celebrity in the future. The motion calls for parliamentary rules to be updated to ban MPs from joining shows that take them abroad for weeks at a time while Parliament is sitting.

Lib Dem MP Christine Jardine, who tabled the bill, said: “This Bushtucker Bill is designed to stop MPs following in Matt Hancock’s shameful footsteps to the jungle. People facing soaring bills deserve MPs who listen to their concerns and stand up for them, not use their position to appear in reality TV shows,” she added.

Exactly … :+1:

Hancock’s “success” in the show should not blind people to the fact that he was lining his pockets while he should have been doing the job that he is paid for … :angry:

As it happens, he’s also recorded appearances for another TV reality show:

The fee - revealed on the register of MPs’ financial interests - is a fraction of the £400,000 he is reported to have got for ITV’s I’m A Celebrity. He will have to reveal his ITV fee in a future edition of the register.

He filmed the Channel 4 show before flying out to the Australian jungle, but it will be screened next year. The register of members’ interests shows he joined the cast of Celebrity SAS: Who Dares Wins during Liz Truss’s short-lived premiership.

He spent 80 hours on the show, which sees celebrities compete against each other in a series of gruelling military training exercises, between 24 September and 8 October. Parliament was in recess from 24 September, and the Conservative Party conference was held in Birmingham from 2 to 5 October.

So, Parliament wasn’t sitting but Hancock “missed” his party conference to make money while, yet again, avoiding his constituency responsibilities … :roll_eyes:

I don’t watch this shite, I ain’t doing no subsidising!!!

Who knows, one could say money, but that would be just an assumption…maybe he wanted to show his true self…do we ever show our true self,in front of others…just my thoughts.:smiley:

Yer don’t need to go to no jungle to find yerself :grin:

How would you know?..

We can go to the deep black pit to find ourself…talking from experience of course.:grinning:

The problem with the jungle is…they know they are on film…

I’ve been to the Jungle babe!