Uk in Recession

Dont think they were free Todge, but very cheap about a bob a plate
if l remember right !

Donkeyman!

AFAIK the place in the next street was free. I THINK it was run by the Quakers (Society of Friends). A group of people that admire greatly.

Heaven forbid real hard times never return, a blip on a balance sheet is Ok, damage limitation.

To be honest I believe that “hard times” are inevitable.

So do I, but, that belief for me has been there for many years, not just a reaction to present circumstances, something will trigger it, based on previous assumptions, maybe not this crisis.

I broadly agree but it’s been teetering on the edge and I believe the fall out of covid will be what pushed it over the edge.

We’ve been living in paradise far too long now Spitty…:frowning:

Yep, paradise it is Foxy, how about this one, should an evolutionist ever be able to retire.:lol::lol::wink:

This is typical human behaviour. We seem predisposed to follow a cycle of boom and bust. Am not just talking about short term either.

Who knows, maybe it’s nature’s way??

No, Nature is separate to what’s going on, probably.

Am not so sure about that. Might start a thread when I’ve worked out an opening argument properly, but not tonight!!

Hi

We have been spending more than we earn for decades.

Both Labour and Tories have been guilty of that.

Winning Elections has been more important than reality.

It has all been put on the Credit Card with no plan to pay it off.

You’re absolutely right Swim.

Credit; What used to be used as an emergency measure to buy something essential when payday was still a long way off, or a method of buying something expensive without having to save up for it and having it now!

But now treated as being completely normal…In fact, if you don’t have any credit you will have a very low credit score and will find it difficult to get any credit, even if you have got loads of money…

Exactly Foxey !
credit as a way of life !
Why do you think banks are removing cash from the system ?
Their aim is every single human being getting a credit card from
an early age, and being fored to work for peanuts trying to keep up ??
Imo they have almost done it ??
Hows this for a conspiracy theory ?
Corona was promoted to get people t exhaust their debit cards
and then remove debit cards along with cash, and where are we ?
Completely at their mercy??

Donkeyman!

It’s an oldie but a goodie —. If I owe my bank £5000 then I should be worrying, if I owe my bank £5000000 then THEY should be worrying. When it comes to debt never underestimate how useful and profitable bankruptcy can be when done right!

You might be on to something there Donkeyman.
Business on the internet has gone off the scale since Covid, which in my opinion has sounded the death knoll for the high street shops including big department stores like M&S, Debenhams and John Lewis, that have already announced that they are struggling through lack of footfall and internet shopping. It’s only card use on the internet, so cash will be a thing of the past. There are some huge changes taking place within the retail industry, and not all for the better…The whole industry will be served by just a few gigantic companies who could have more power than any government. No more family run companies and businesses, just large multinational conglomerates who have the power to undercut the smaller competitors and drive them to the wall. And everything we do will be done from our armchairs so there will be no need to venture out. A bit like lockdown…Could that have been a trial run?

I’m hoping that more shops and department stores, etc, will soon be able to open their doors like the supermarkets do now.

Department stores are now things of the past. Apart from anything else they do not represent a sound economic model. Other shops are going to have to rely on niche markets. The best thing now is to convert town centres to housing. The High Street days are over.

I’m shocked and stunned. Someone mention credit scores so, because we’ve paid our mortgage off, pay our credit card bills in full every month, and owe no-one a bean, I thought my score would be very low at best. I’ve just completed an Experian credit score check and you could knock me down with a fevver - the result came back as EXCELLENT. As I said, I’m shocked and stunned by this result.

A pal of mine was in Harrogate yesterday she said she felt like crying … lots of stores closing or closed and hardly any people around… I truly thought once lockdown was lifted things would get back to normal fairly quickly… but seems I was wrong :frowning: