Tyre blowout? Beyond repair? Not if these men have any say in the matter

After watching this repair job, I can now understand why so many Asian trucks, buses etc overturn or crash. How they get away with such work is the amazing part about this video.

2 Likes

Wanna retread? This was a Goodyear, now it’s a Good Luck :+1:

1 Like

And there’s no safety equipment, boots gloves ect, and using a lethal looking power tool without safety glasses is courting disaster…

2 Likes

On a slightly less dramatic note, my car picked up a bolt which embedded into a tyre. Fortunately (I think) I found someone who could repair it and that took place while I waited - around ten minutes - charged about ÂŁ25.
Last week my car failed it’s MOT - due to the repaired puncture. Seems it’s an “illegal repair”!!

1 Like

Yes, it would have failed because the tyre must be removed from the rim and repaired from inside the casing. Those plug repairs are for kerbside get-u-home type fixes. Once back home the tyre must be removed and the plug vulcanised from the inside.

One of my responsibilities when working for the Malaysian Government was showing the local retread industry what was and what wasn’t an acceptable tyre to retread. You should have seen some of the crap tyres they were attempting to retread. They were downright dangerous; even worse than those shown in the videos in post 1.

In addition to this, when I worked at Goodyear’s factory in Wolverhampton, we had some tyres come in for an insurance adjudication because they were found to be the cause of a fatal crash. What we found was that, even though we had cut through the bead on both sides of the tyres using a bolt cutter to ensure the tyres were scrapped out, all of them had been “repaired” by someone and sold on the secondary market. Needless to say, Goodyear refused to accept responsibility for the accident in court, and the judge agreed. However, we did change our practice for scrapping tyres and cut out 6" of bead and most of the sidewall from each scrap tyre before it even left the final inspection area.

1 Like

Somewhere in Youtube is a video of some Indian actually cutting up two tyres of same pattern and joining them together using one tyre’s still intact steel bandings to keep both parts bound together. If I find it again, I’ll post it in OFF.

It was removed from the casing. I know that because I watched him doing the repair.

1 Like

I rather fit a new tyre

1 Like

In that case, the wrong type/grade of plug/patch was used or it was not heat vulcanised to fuse the repair to the casing.

A very good reason why every country should ban retreads:-

Now that is downright dangerous. There’s no way of knowing just how much rubber is left before you get down to the wire breaker belt. Having said that, there are truck and bus tyres that are manufactured by reputable makers that have extra thick treads put on during the building stage so the patterns can be regrooved once worn out - but there will ALWAYS be at least 6-7mm of rubber under the groove before you hit the wire belt.

Yes if it’s a passenger car tyre you’re talking about. The protective chemicals used in manufacturing a car tyre are just not enough to support the extra long life of a retread or 2. This is one of the reasons car and light van tyres should be changed after 7 or 8 years (even if they’ve never been on the road). Truck/bus tyres, on the other hand have plenty of these special protective chemicals added to the compounds so 1 or 2 are probable, 3 or 4 retreads possible.

Any one considering buying a “part worn” tyre for their car - DON’T even think about it if you value your life.

2 Likes