Type 2 diabetes and Metformin

Some of you may know, well they do on the ‘Chit chat’ thread, that I have recently had a knee replacement.
But this is something different.
I have or had type 2 diabetes. I have been a good boy over the years.
After my latest blood test about a month ago, I had a phone call from my Dr, telling me that I should stop taking the Metformin. Only taking 2, one in morning and one at night.
Since I did this, my BS rate has gone from 6 ish to 8 plus. I know it is not a critical result, but I don’t like it. Further to the Dr request, I have been starting to take just 1 in the morning, and the rate has gone back down.
So to the question. Can Metformin do any harm by just me just taking the 1 a day?
P.S. I have a Dr phone appointment next Tuesday, to discuss this.

Well Emjay, I think its just trial and error, start taking just one and see how you go, 8 is not that high, high is over 10. Do you have a finger prick test kit?

Personally I’d wait until next week. The medics might have insight into possible side effects with your op and/or any related meds you’re taking.

Emjay about 15 years ago they tried to make me take Metformin along with my injected insulin . I would take one in the morning and have to take sugar by lunch because it worked too fast on me.
I said I wouldn’t take any more so they suggested I take a slow release one & it didn’t affect my blood sugars so I refused to take any more.
They treat us all as if we all react in the same way to diabetic medicine…but we don’t !
If 1 per day is keeping your blood sugars at a good level tell the doctor & ask why they wanted to stop you taking them, because they may stop your prescription.
I know that they are trying to reduce the cost of treating diabetes & they have now decided to give me a monitor that is attached to your arm mainly because I am type 1 , but I am certain that is to reduce the cost of the blood sugar strips.
Dont let them pressure you into changing your medicine, unless they can show you that 2 a day may cause problems!

Good thinking Twink, listen to Twink Emjay, she knows best.

Thanks for your replies.
Yes I do have a finger prick test kit, in fact I have 2.
It was quite a few years ago that I was told that I was ‘Borderline diabetes’. In a month I lost1lb. 11stone down to 10stone, that I still am.
I just wondered if there was any harm in taking just one.

I have just had a phone call from my GP surgery. Fortunately my daughter answered it.
It was basically for an appointment change.
But just chatting to the receptionist - manager, it would seem that they are taking people off Metformin as it now becomes a health risk.
That is all I know or was told. Google is you friend? As my daughter is doing now.

1 Like

Your diabetes seems to be well controlled, from your blood sugar readings, so I hope you & your doctor can find an alternative way to keep you well .
It all sounds very complicated so I think you need to see your doctor and dicuss your options!

Now you have me concerned! I’ve been type2 for some years. My BS has fluctuated wildly, mainly caused by my love of sugary things and my inability to control it. I have been on 4 metformin a day, among other diabetic meds. Wasn’t aware of any risks in taking these meds.

t seems they are suggesting that they can cause Vit B12 deficiency & some are linking ot to cancer, but all meds can cause health problems !
Doctors told me to take Vitamin D supplements daily but never mentioned that it causes Magnesuim deficiency.
If you are worried ask to speak you your doctor about it and they will possibly do a blood test.
If you read the warnings on all meds you will notice that they all can cause other health problems, but uually for only a minority of people.
Please don’t be concerned , your doctor should be able to advise!

1 Like

Now that is another thing. A few years ago my Dr also said that I should take vitamin D, which I have been taking.
I and my family have been with this surgery for a very long time. When the father of the present son, who now runs the practice, started his own practice, I went with him. We were almost like ‘friends’. He would phone me to book me and my cab early mornings to take him to places in London. He was 3 days younger than me. He died in 2017.
So since the son took over I am afraid the practice has gone down hill. Mistakes have been made in my family and others. That is food for another topic.