Two Amazon workers denied sick leave die within hours of each other, co-workers claim

Workers in Bessemer, Alabama, USA, where the incident took place, spoke with the worker right organisation More Perfect Union claimed that six people have died at the facility in 2021 and have accused Amazon of trying to cover up the incidents.

Amazon spokesperson Kelly Nantel said the claims were lies.

“These claims are just false and it’s really disappointing that anyone would spread misinformation about something like this to try and advance their own agenda,” she said in a statement to The Independent.

More Perfect Union shared a video interview with Amazon day-shift worker Isaiah Thomas, who claimed that one of the individuals who “died on the job” was denied sick leave before suffering a fatal stroke.

Both workers claimed that Amazon managers told the rest of the workers to continue working and not to speak about what happened. Mr Connelly said some of the workers who interacted regularly with the individual who died were upset by the death and wanted to go home, but were not allowed.

“There’s no shutdown, there’s no moment of silence, there’s no time to sit and have a prayer” Mr Connelly said. “You’re a body. Once that body’s used up, they’ll just bring somebody else in and do the work.”

• Disgusting
1 Like

Appalling … :open_mouth:

I don’t understand what they mean by being denied sick leave. Were they at risk of being fired or at risk of not being paid for those days?

2 Likes

looks like folks should only work there, if they are in their Prime.

1 Like

They were at risk of being fired, Annie. One of the guys had a stroke because he said he felt unwell and wanted to go home (to his trailer) and he was denied.

2 Likes

Presumably this is more down to the draconian labour laws in the US. The type of workers rights that they would love to get rid of here. It’s a bit like that manic monday song. “I can’t be late because I just won’t get paid” etc. Hardly any holidays and unpaid sick leave. etc. Employers just have too many rights over there. Of course no NHS there either.

4 Likes

Why were they denied sick leave ?

Because in the US, workers get a very limited amount of days off, and sadly this guy had run out of his days. So that’s the excuse Amazon gave…

Remember this is the same company who ordered their workers to get into work, despite the recent typhoons. Several Amazon workers died as a result, because they were told to ignore the weather warnings.

Such a compassionate company. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Just dreadful, what a sad end to lives, my every sympathy to their families.

It shows how companies and employers will treat and exploit workers if there aren’t employment laws and unions to protect them.

Employment law is very poor in the US and I doubt Amazon are the only ones behaving like this.

I hope the other employees will remember this and be brave and vote to form a union in 2022, despite intimidation.

And I do worry that a watering down of workers rights here could lead us into similar situations.

2 Likes

I agree…I see it already happening in some places, especially in retail.

2 Likes

Yes, and the growth of zero hours contracts hasn’t helped.

And now we don’t come under the protection of EU law on employees rights, future governments could water them down.

2 Likes

This is from January last year, but its just goes to show that this is already on the Govt’s agenda…

workers rights eroded post brexit

2 Likes

Exactly. Scary, isn’t it?

1 Like

me too

Of course it is but people are too distracted by Covid and what Boris did next to pay attention to the more important matters under our radar.

1 Like

Yes…it makes you wonder what kind of stuff they are passing through on the sly, and then suddenly (when all this is over) we will wake up one morning to find that…actually, what we once knew, is no longer the case :scream:

1 Like

I’m sure Amazon isn’t the only company, I bet these rules apply to all workers both in the public and private sector.

1 Like

Oh quite possibly yes. Its not right though is it? I mean…these amazon workers have been trying to get a union going forever and it keeps getting outvoted - which I’m curious why. Is it a fear (again) of losing their jobs? Nobody wants to speak out against the company?

Some basic rights when it comes to health, shouldn’t be a luxury. Dying at work because you can’t get home/get healthcare is awful.

Workers at the warehouse attempted to unionise in April, but their efforts were ultimately defeated. Workers voted 1798 against a union against the 738 who voted for one.

As long as they vote against having a Union their conditions won’t improve.

1 Like

Yes, and I wonder what kind of grief the 738 for, got because they voted for one…? Repercussions, I mean.