Twitter's verification system inconsistent as blue ticks disappear

The NY Times, along with several other news organizations refused to pay for monthly verification which costs $8/mo for individuals for blue ticks and $1,000/mo for organizations for gold ticks.

Since anyone can pay for verification without providing proof, that’s a lot of money that doesn’t do much.

Some news organizations refused to pay the fee, but losing the credential is inconsistent. Since the process is manual, some accounts like the NY Times have lost blue ticks while some organisations have gotten gold ticks despite saying they wouldn’t pay for ticks.

1 Like

Personally, I’ve left Twitter for good. It wasn’t doing my wee business-type hobby any good. I disliked the heavy political presence and the verbal arguments which followed it everywhere.

However, reading/viewing the Twitter news… Oof! With this blue tick business, I feel many are going to decide to leave the platform once and for all.

Gabriel Iglesias said this in one of his stand up routine. He said he’s got money but he’s still ghetto. Meaning, people want to be popular but they don’t want to pay for fame… LOL!

At one point, some of us believed that a verified blue tick on Twitter would prove that we were serious about our business. Back then it was free, before Elon Musk’s arrival. It meant you were truly serious, professional about what you were offering aka someone worth it.

That was yesterday’s understanding. Nowadays, I believe it’ll change the dynamics of Twitter completely and maybe not for the best interests of the users.

1 Like

Fluffy?! Funny guy.

From what I read, Twitter used to make an effort to verify the person to give them a blue tick. Now they say that if you pay the money, no one cares if it’s a real account or not. That has created a lot of problems, and people don’t want to pay just to have them be impersonated anyway.

1 Like

I’m not a big user of Twitter and never Tweet but I do follow the accounts of a few people, authors, local politicians etc that I’m interested in

So for me, the point of the blue tick was to confirm that the people I follow are the genuine people I think they are and not fake accounts

If anyone can get a blue tick just by paying for it, what’s the point?

BUT an interesting twist :face_with_monocle:

Elon Musk is paying for the blue ticks for some celebrities who refused to pay and sign up himself!

I follow Stephen King so I hope this means he’s staying

1 Like

Can people spoof others by signing up and using their username as the name of the celebrity?

I don’t use Twitter except to follow a couple people so I don’t know much about how it works. I do remember reading that people were paying for spoof accounts.

1 Like

Yes, that’s exactly what they do do, and I thought the blue ticks meant that Twitter had verified the person as the genuine article?

If you can get a blue tick just by paying for it, it doesn’t really mean much?

1 Like