Tv advertising

Does anyone remember the TV ads of yesteryear. The ones that used to show you the product and what it did as opposed to a lot of today’s ads that can only be described as the over the top and more concerned with being socially acceptable in today’s woke culture.

Are you talking all types of appliances ?

Anything you want to see working or have any enquires about any product, you only have to go onto YouTube, all will be shown there, it’s an amazing Chanel.

You mean something like this DoubleTwo shirt ad. from 1971?
There are a few others worth watching too in here.
:grin:

I don’t know … at the time we complained about the ad breaks, looking back there were some classics:

The milky bar kid, that condor moment, the nice lady making gravy, happiness is a cigar … , I’d like to teach the world to sing.

I’m out of touch, don’t watch primetime TV, the progs and the ads look cheap to me, by comparison.

Exactly my point @dood . A lot of ads are to be honest simply ridiculous.

2 Likes

The ads seem to be dominated by, people singing, people dancing, people singing and dancing and obnoxious kids. :rofl:

Or people yodelling…can’t abide that avert (whatever it is…some food or takeaway) where everyone yodels! arrrgh!!

I often wonder when people will learn that ads are an attempt to get your money!
I am sure that many advertising agencies have psychologists, who didnt make the grade for hospitals, but study how people think.
My real worry is that, if people today are conned by these ads then people are definitely losing rational thinking. :scream:
The one that irritates me most, at the moment , is the one with an old lady , eating noodles, with a donkey on her back!

Hands up now… how many of you know what brand of noodles they are advertising & how this ad would encourage you to buy them? :rofl:

Nope don’t know?

Anyone remember the elephant and the bully boy with the packet of Rolos it was and is the best ever . I dont know how to post it from you tube. Perhaps someone could do it . I love it

Well done MrFraggle, you appear to have rational thinking! :smiley:

No one has ever accused me of that before, not sure if I should feel insulted or complimented. :grinning:

I understand what you mean but if you really want to see ridiculous ad’s look at USA or even better the advertising of some South American countries.
:rofl:
What I don’t understand is the sheer volume of adverts for things like sofas or comparison sites.
These companies have got to be making some serious money to be able to afford advertising on such a scale and that money can only be coming from what they sell.

Twink. You do psychologists and advertisers a disservice, they will employ the very best psychologists to help get their messages across, it’s a billion pound industry requiring the very best of whatever is needed

1 Like

Yes, very funny! :grinning:

2 Likes

Definitely a compliment! :smiley:

You are so right Primus… but they are all still rip off merchants!

A lot of the time it’s about familiarity. They expect the punter to hate the ad but to still buy the product over an unfamiliar/unknown name.

I love the Budweiser commercials

1 Like

One of my all time favourites…
:sunglasses:

3 Likes