Turtle flown 5,000 miles for new life in Scotland

An X-ray later revealed she was also suffering from a lung infection, with possible damage to her lungs.

Vets also found that April suffers from buoyancy issues and cannot fully immerse herself underwater.

• well can I go to the Maldives in her place then? :joy:
4 Likes

My goodness the poor thing will find it chilly in Loch Lomond

2 Likes

I thought that too :joy: Bit of a chill going on thereā€¦but perhaps theyā€™ll heat the pool for acclimatisation purposes!

1 Like

Could be. They are cold blooded arenā€™t they?

2 Likes

Pretty sure they are @Besoeker but this one came from the Maldives, so also used to warmer weather? So heaving it all the way over hereā€¦well Iā€™m quite sure a warm bath would be welcome :joy:

1 Like

Cold blooded doesnā€™t mean they could survive in very cold waters:-
Cold Snaps and Stunned Sea Turtles | NOAA Fisheries

1 Like

Thank you for that!

1 Like

What a politically correct world we live in. Weā€™ve lost sight of priorities - Turtle flown 5000 miles for new life; NHS waiting lists months and years for treatment! Prices rocketing; people unable to pay energy bills; homeless people; lockdown; Prime Minster holding parties whilst telling others to ā€œStay Homeā€.
How do we fix this?

2 Likes

I have no idea, Lindyā€¦the whole world has gone crazy :woman_shrugging: Its sad.

Also look at the environmental impact flying a turtle all that way, ( ok, Iā€™m sure it wasnā€™t the only passenger) , I wonder if it went business classā€¦?

1 Like

Would it fix NHS waiting list if somebody wanted the turtle to have a better life?

No - but this and plenty of other things would collectively make a massive difference.

Yes, plenty of other things could. For example starving children. The turtle wouldnā€™t make a lot of difference to that but what about dogs? There are about 12 million in the UK. We care for them and feed the them. Could we lose those and instead send the food to the starving millions? Logically, we could.

We like dogs dogs give us love and entertainment
People who feed their dogs are unlikely to starve their children either .
We simply cannot feel guilty that every altruistic gesture would have been better off being spent on something else more worthy.
Yes we could euthanise all the dogs and send the money to the bottomless pit of starving mankind.
It will give us little return and being human most people want to have some return in their lives and a sure fire way of doing this is getting a dog .

Blockquote

Exactly!
ā€¦