Tumble drying - breaking the rules

Just a question for those who use a tumble dryer regularly. Do you read the guidance on clothing and break the rules? For example if the label says low, do you dry on high regardless? Have you tried drying “do not tumble dry” items and if so what happened?

I’m frustrated with the number of items showing the tumble dry crossed out but worry about the consequences. Is it like “best before” dates on food or something more serious? I can understand why say underwired bras might be a no-no because of heated metal, but then jeans with a metal zip are ok? Some of it just doesn’t make sense.

2 Likes

During wet weather I am forced to use the tumbly (its an eco friendly heat pump version) and yes I do tumble those articles that state do not tumble without any consequences; but then I only tumble everything on the low/synthetic setting so perhaps that makes difference between copulated or perfect.

:smiley: :+1:

1 Like

I do read the laundry care labels on garments but I also read the material composition and use my own judgement about the instructions for temperature wash / spin / tumble dry etc.

I think many companies go for the ultra-ultra-safe options to cover their backs so you can’t blame them if a garment shrinks a bit or gets damaged in the wash or tumble dryer.

I try not to use my tumble dryer much these days but if I do need to use it, I rarely put anything in on the low heat setting - “mixed fibres” nearly all go on high heat, same as cottons, because it takes forever to dry anything on the low setting.
Anything really flimsy or delicate or with a special finish gets hung up to dry naturally.

1 Like

I just do my own thing,if the label has the x on,i dry it on a low heat for approx 10 minutes.
Trial and error really.

1 Like

We don’t use a tumble dryer. We use the clothesline unless it’s rainy then we use the drying rack. That avoids the expense.

I use a washer dryer sadly I’m not permitted to dry clothes outside !
One of the rules living in a gated community.

I wash and dry everything on a low setting.

2 Likes

Everything gets tumble dried. A couple exceptions. Expensive bras and new delicates. Bras because the fabric can shift and look lumpy. Delicates because they can tangle. Sometimes jackets if the zipper pull will likely fall off.

I mostly don’t follow labels but there have been some disappointments.

2 Likes

No, I just bung it it in what I think and check it now and then, it’s only a heating it up machine really, isn’t it? Not scientific

My husband got really grumpy about me drying washing on the airer and the radiators so it all goes in the dryer now :rage:

1 Like