Tugendhat sets out his stance on Brexit, taxes and other issues

Tugendhat sets out his stance on Brexit, taxes and other issues

Tom Tugendhat has confirmed he will stand for Tory leader. Writing in The Daily Telegraph, he says:

On Brexit:

“The full advantages of Brexit are yet to be unleashed.”

On taxes:

"Taxes, bluntly, are too high and there is an emerging consensus across the party that they must come down.

On the cost of living:

“Since Vladimir Putin’s savage invasion of Ukraine, we have woken up to the need to secure British supply chains and maintain and build the strength of our armed forces in an increasingly dangerous and uncertain world.”

On crime and illegal immigration:

"At home we need to get a grip on the major issues that threaten our way of life - the scourge of crime becoming an everyday phenomenon and the spectre of illegal immigration enabled by evil human traffickers.

“More than ever, we need a military-style effort to grip these issues. We can solve them - especially with more police on the streets - but only if we get serious.”

Tugendhat holds dual British and French citizenship. His wife is a French judge and senior civil servant, and his father-in-law is a French diplomat, the lead Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe mediator in Ukraine. Tugendhat is Catholic, with Jewish ancestry.

So, TT has a French connection … :fr:

If BJ gave up his American citizenship in furtherance of his political ambitions then TT will, surely, have to do the same with his French … :thinking:

I predict BJ will take French citizenship as his father is now a French citizen in order to enjoy the advantages of being an EU citizen

I love the phrase “cut taxes” is used as a panacea for all ill’s.

Where will the money to run the country come from?
With an ageing society & falling birth rate .
with the coming electric cars the income from petrol sales will evaporate to nothing …
Where’s the money coming from ?

1 Like

I’ll vote for some of that.

I don’t like any of that other lot … Shnapps, Javid, Pretty Patel, Rishi, Hunt …

What about this one?

Hmmm … a piece of work.

I’ve never heard of her before now, and I’m not sure of her chances to be honest, but y’know…anything can happen :woman_shrugging: I sincerely hope not though :frowning_face:

I’ve never heard of her either.

“War on Woke” sounds like feeding the trolls to me.

Its probably a race/culture thing, given her background. At least thats how I’m interpreting it.

She sounds a right moo, doesn’t she?

Where do the Tories get them from? :nauseated_face:

But she could get the populist vote from the GB news watching Auntie Wokies

And the Brexiters still gullible enough to believe the Brexit they were promised is possible, but not happening because of the Remainers and the Civil Service :woman_shrugging:

Imagine the eye rolling from the Auntie Wokies if someone from the left played the race card like that :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

The problem is if she gets to take all her populist crap into the real world among the grown ups she’ll just find out it’s not happening, create a load more division in the country and with Europe and end up disappointing the people who were daft enough to believe her, just like Johnson

So, I hope they don’t choose her for the good of the country, on the other hand, she’d probably finish off the Tories for a good, long time

Going to be calling her Cruella Haverwoman from now on :rofl:

Ok its the mail.

## The ‘dirty dozen’ ready to ‘shred each other to pieces’: TWELVE Tory leadership contenders emerge with fears ‘wacky races’ battle is ALREADY turning nasty with Liz Truss branded 'mad, bad and dangerous to know’

Readers may note that, in reading through Tugendhat’s reasons for standing (above), he doesn’t say exactly what he’ll do about it!

Maybe that’s what we’re all failing to look for, as candidates put forward their words, what will they, actually, PROMISE!

:hamster:

Not in my opinion.

You build the economy. And if you’d listened to Ian King’s business show on Sky News this morning you’d have seen some positive reports and there’s lots of bills that have been passed ready to take effect, but sadly haven’t been spoken about because all the media want to concentrate on is gossip and bad news.

1 Like

Which comment are you referring to, Todger? The one about the woman herself, or the race/culture tack she may take?

Oh yes, I bet there’s not one candidate who doesn’t promise to cut taxes :coin:

And then they have the gall to have a pop at Labour for having a Magic Money Tree :rofl:

1 Like

When tories speak of tax cuts. They usually mean corporation tax, and
And their preferred method of recouping the tax loss to government coffers
is to skin the the workers via hidden taxes such as petroleum, alcohol and
tobacco , and now National lnsurance !!
Donkeyman! :frowning::frowning:

2 Likes

The woman herself.

I prefer taxes to be made on ‘luxuries’ we buy, rather than through wage packets.