Trying New Cooking Kitchen Appliances

Have you found that you don’t like change, when it comes to changing your cooking kitchen appliances,…we tend to stick with the same thing and some of us can’t seem to see outside of that way of cooking?

I know we can’t all afford to change our cooking appliances, …so of course we have to take that into account.

I thought this would be a great thread to talk about the new way of cooking appliances you have discovered and how they work for you?

Pros and cons of your new cooking appliances you have bought?..:smiley:

I wish we could try a lot of these new technologies in cooking our food ,before we buy them, …

In the bottom of my cupboard is a pie maker. haven’t used it for probably 20 years but when the kids were young I used to use it a lot, it makes four pies - three kids and me!

There is also a four slice toaster and a four place sandwich maker both no longer needed, though sometimes I do get the urge to dig out the pie maker and make pies to freeze.

I think that most of the appliances I have bought over the years have been well used just not recently. Things like bread makers and the like were easy to avoid after watching others use them and realise that they were far more trouble than they are worth.

The problem with appliances is the space they take up, I keep my air fryer in the laundry for example.

2 Likes

That pie maker sounds interesting, I must look those up.

I bought a smoothie maker, used it about once or twice I think.

Coffee machine as well, that is now stored away, … the pods are far to expensive, plus the coffee was never boiling hot, I hate warm coffee.

You are certainly right about the space these appliances take up, I store my instant pot in my cupboard…

Edit to add, just looked up those pie makers on Argos, they sell the deep filled pie makers, plus they look individual, so next time I’m in Newbury, I will be buying one, they are pretty cheap as well, …I can’t see anything going wrong with a pie maker, :+1:

Did you make your own pastry,Bruce? to put in it.

The pie maker came with a cutter(s) to make the case for two pies from a single sheet of frozen pastry, I used puff pastry because it tends not to rise as much in the pie maker

I am going from memory but pretty sure that is correct

1 Like

The pie maker I looked up ,has a 5 star rating…I will also be trying shop bought pastry in it,…I’ll let you all know how it goes,:+1:

1 Like

I think the only kitchen appliance that I stopped using is a filter coffee machine. I bought it about 25 years ago and we used it continuously for several years but it was on all the time and we drank gallons of it. Then we moved house and it got boxed up and never came out again. I gave it to a charity shop.

I avoid buying any kitchen gadgets now because I figure if I haven’t needed whatever it is in all my married life then I don’t need it and I hate clutter.
Charity shops are full of electric carving knives, bread makers, omelette makers and those crock pot things.

I buy ready rolled sheets of shop pastry, cut the rounds out with the cutters, put them between parchment paper and freeze them in a ziplock bag

Then, whenever I’ve got leftovers I want to make into pie, I just defrost a couple

The scraps I use for jam puffs and cheesey straws

1 Like

Deleted - it was too long!

Can one re-roll puff pastry remnants? I thought (based on watching Bake Off) that lamination through folding was the key thing about it. Genuine question, as I’ve absolutely no clue whatsoever.

1 Like

No, not if it’s puff or flaky pastry.

That’s why I use the offcuts from cutting out the circles to make random shaped little jam, mincemeat or cheese puffs.

Or just wrap it randomly around cocktail sausages! Not going to waste it when I just want circles for my pies if I’m using flaky

Quite often I use shortcrust, though. You can re roll and reshape that

1 Like

Thanks @Maree . Thought that’d be the case, but wanted to be sure.

I got a pie maker just last week on the local free site. It doesn’t use much electric. I made 4 extra size sponge cakes in it and they were nice.
I have also got an electric cup cake maker but they are fairly small.
Both great appliances that cook in ten minutes and save putting the oven on.

1 Like

What a flipping good idea!!

I often re roll scraps of shortcrust.

I actually bought a Ernesto cast iron pan from Lidl, a few days back, with all that faffing about with the product, boiling water in it x 3 then adding butter, drying it out,I took it back…

I never thought to watch tutorials on these pie makers, so off to watch them now, before I buy.:+1:

Edit to add,I just watched a tutorial where they cooked scotch eggs in the pie maker, they came out great, I Love scotch eggs.

I love scotch eggs too, but they’re a bit naughty when you deep fry them. I’ve never thought of putting them in the pie maker, I’ll try it

They do come out very nicely in the air fryer though

1 Like

I made some curried vegetable pies (like samosas but round) in the pie maker yesterday.
They came out really well and looked like shop ones.

1 Like