Trig Point Hunting with Foxy

Just as a matter of interest - as these trig points are a fixed and known geographic location (otherwise what is their point?) surely your phone’s GPS would guide you to them quick smart if they were in a difficult location?

1 Like

A far as I know trig points were used to accurately create OS maps. They do, of course, appear on their maps.

1 Like

Are trig points also referred to as triangulation points?

1 Like

@JBR … Good to see you back. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I was about to remark that you were a voice from the past but Morticia got there first. Do hang around.

3 Likes

Thanks Morty. I’m now giving serious thought to leaving the ‘other place’, but that might be better discussed by PM.

2 Likes

Yes. It saves four unnecessary and valuable syllables!

2 Likes

But trig abbreviates trigonometry, not triangulation :wink:

1 Like

Oh, but if does… if you miss out ‘an’ and ‘ulation’!

1 Like

I think this might get a bit out of hand JBR.

Think I’ll concede the point on this occasion :blush:

1 Like

Oh, I can be a stubborn as a mule when I’m that way out, Dex! :rofl:

2 Likes

No sh… Sherlock :wink::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I can’t keep up!
Who’s upset you?
I’ll put one of my extra potent spells on 'em :exploding_head::cold_face::scream:

3 Likes

JBR’s being very "tri"ing.

1 Like

Meanwhile - back with Foxy - well done, Sexy legs :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:!

1 Like

Yep Foxy, well done, for the Trig Hunting, I have no interest in your Legs. :walking_man:

1 Like

You are welcome @spitfire I thought that with all the bad news that seems to have permeated society just lately it was time to get back to basics, and mother nature is always ready to listen to any problems you might have.

I will try to answer everyone’s kind posts over the next day or two, but today we have booked a Christmas dinner at a nearby garden centre and time is short this morning. You can’t have too many Christmas dinners can you…
:nerd_face:

Thanks @Besoeker Scotland provides some brilliant trig points and most of them include serious climbs, you have done very well to reach a couple. I don’t think I would have logged as many if each one had a 2200 foot climb. With over six thousand trigs in the UK I don’t think I will manage to reach them all, but I’ll give it a good try…Foxy will be visiting a trig near you that you probably didn’t know existed…
:sunglasses:

Thanks @Bruce much appreciated, I’m guessing that’s where the clocks alter in the next line of longitude. Do you have ‘Trig Points’ in Australia Bruce? If the country has been mapped, what method did they use in the old days?

Thanks @DianneWoollie the kisses are much appreciated, and I do actually smile a lot, contrary to popular belief these days. Always been a bit of an optimist…
:cowboy_hat_face:

Thanks @Mags, too much time worrying about things that are out of my control. It’s nice to be back and I’ve already ear marked my next batch of trigs…
:sunglasses:

Yes that’s true Bruce, but using a GPS would be like knowing the result of a race before you had chance to watch it, or looking at the answers to a crossword puzzle. It’s so much more interesting to paw over the maps and find the trigs in the old fashioned way. It creates much more satisfaction and sometimes highlights some of the gaps in my knowledge of navigation. And when the internet eventually goes down nobody will know how to map read…
:laughing:

Absolutely @JBR we were the first country to map the entire British Isles accurately using this method. Although the trig point pillars are not used nowadays, we are still using some of the maps that they created, and with GPS they were found to be very accurate indeed, less than a metre out in most case. Nice to see you posting on here again by the way…You have been missed…
:+1:

That’s true Dex, each beacon or pillar was used to make a triangle with an other two, and using trigonometry it was possible to accurately calculate heights and distances. Right up your street may I say…
:clipboard:

I’ll second that Morty…
:man_student:

You say the nicest things Tabby… :heart: :heart: :heart:

Thanks Spitty, and that’s okay, my legs are not to everyone’s taste…

1 Like

Thanks OGF.

I have seen the light.

3 Likes

I don’t really know @OldGreyFox, there are similar looking things along the coast topped with radar reflectors (I will see if it can find a photo of the one at Hill 60 in Port Kembla). I have also noticed metal discs inserted into the footpath marked with arrows engraved in the concrete and sprayed with yellow paint. I presume that they are survey markers of some sort.

The one in my photo is a particular one marking the exact location of state borders obviously - At the moment if I were to step into the top left corner of that photo I would be liable to a $10000 fine because the Queensland border is closed and you need a permit to enter. I am not sure of the current rules for entry into SA.

You are right, that is where the clocks change to Australian Central Standard Time ACST. At the moment that is even more complex because NSW is on to Daylight Saving time AEDT whereas Queensland stays on AEST (the extra hour of sunlight would fade their curtains too much) so each section of that marker is at a different time.

I have mentioned it before but the SA/Victorian border has a kink in it at the NSW border because the Victorian surveyor’s watch was 2 minutes out, It caused a lot of bad blood between Victoria and SA in the 19th Century involving court action. The Murray River is the border between NSW and Victoria which is no problem but there is a wiggle and a misalignment along the SA border which was supposed to be on the 141 meridian.

1 Like

Brilliant @Bruce:+1:
And what an outstanding presentation.
I have always loved reading and learning about Australia ever since I did a project on it at school. More recently I watch most things Australia and recognise the roads and trails you have described, ‘Outback Opal Hunters’ ‘Aussie Gold Hunters’ and ‘Outback Truckers’ to name a few. It’s just a pity I will probably never get the opportunity to visit, but thanks for your interesting and well documented adventure.