Trig Point Hunting with Foxy

Following my unfortunate tangle with the Covid 19 virus in August, by late September I was recovered and missing my trips out in the wild places searching for long forgotten trig points. It would probably be my last adventure for this year so I decided to visit three trig points that I either failed to find previously, or due to planted fields I could not reach without causing damage to crops.

Coombe Hill and number 19 on my list was the first one to locate. On my previous visit I failed to find it, I searched the forest until bad light, rain, hunger, and a poorly researched description finally forced me back to the comfort of my car. The fish and chips in Scarborough tasted good!

So on a nice sunny day, after a long drive on narrow unfenced roads that led deep into the forest, I arrived at the viewpoint close to where the trig point should be situated. From here I had to walk along a bumpy lane alongside a thick tangle of undergrowth at the edge of a dark forest. With the sun shining over my shoulder and penetrating into the trees I had no problem in spotting the white freshly painted pillar…

Pleased with my find I returned to Scarborough and before lunch, continued on to the second trig of the day at Cloughton, number 20.

Although I found this one on my last visit, the field was full of ripe corn and would have been too damaging to tramp out to the middle of the field, and besides, I pass this way quite often on our visits to the East coast cliff path. The corn had been harvested but the field was ploughed. Deep furrows made walking difficult, and my hundred quid running shoes weren’t the best of footwear for this sort of terrain, but eventually I arrived at the trig point.

Time ran out on my previous search for the Langdale pillar number 21. So armed with a good map and description I drove up the narrow country road into the forest where I found the little deserted parking space.

It was a long walk along the forest track, perhaps three miles or so, but the views were spectacular and the solitude was perfect for unwinding from the stresses of 21st century life. No reception for the mobile phone, and the nearest civilisation was ten miles away. A bad place to suffer a heart attack I thought as I left the path and struggled up a very steep climb.

It had been quite a while since I struggled up a hill like this and a lot had happened since then. I had discovered that my heart was not in good shape, and running had to be ceased since April, so my fitness levels were in doubt, although I had continued to walk regularly, Covid had interrupted my training.

Half way up the steep climb and I had to stop for a breather after struggling for breath, but I managed to finish the climb and ended up on a massive plateau at the top. To my surprise there were sheep grazing and the sight of the stone pillar five hundred yards away had me excited and running to the welcoming obelisk.

As I made my way back to the car in diminishing light I decided that it would not be a good place to be in the dark but satisfied with my three finds today, and taking my tally for this year to 21, I was pleased that I had made it through a difficult year and look forward to doubling my collection of trig points next year.

5 Likes

Thanks Foxy, for a reality check.

1 Like

Good finds Foxy. I have done a few but not in the scale that you have. A couple that had some memories for me. One was near my school at Kirriemuir. Very hilly. The other was Cat Law. It was quite a trip from our house and quite a climb at 2200 feet.

1 Like

Very esoteric

Here’s one for you

The posts and chain in the top of the picture are half an hour ahead of the camera.

1 Like

That was a great adventure and to read it knowing of you was real Special for moi…You smile I will back at you…Foxy xx

1 Like

Good to see you back at your Trig hunting, Bob :+1:

2 Likes

Just as a matter of interest - as these trig points are a fixed and known geographic location (otherwise what is their point?) surely your phone’s GPS would guide you to them quick smart if they were in a difficult location?

1 Like

A far as I know trig points were used to accurately create OS maps. They do, of course, appear on their maps.

1 Like

Are trig points also referred to as triangulation points?

1 Like

@JBR … Good to see you back. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I was about to remark that you were a voice from the past but Morticia got there first. Do hang around.

3 Likes

Thanks Morty. I’m now giving serious thought to leaving the ‘other place’, but that might be better discussed by PM.

2 Likes

Yes. It saves four unnecessary and valuable syllables!

2 Likes

But trig abbreviates trigonometry, not triangulation :wink:

1 Like

Oh, but if does… if you miss out ‘an’ and ‘ulation’!

1 Like

I think this might get a bit out of hand JBR.

Think I’ll concede the point on this occasion :blush:

1 Like

Oh, I can be a stubborn as a mule when I’m that way out, Dex! :rofl:

2 Likes

No sh… Sherlock :wink::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I can’t keep up!
Who’s upset you?
I’ll put one of my extra potent spells on 'em :exploding_head::cold_face::scream:

3 Likes

JBR’s being very "tri"ing.

1 Like