Travel update: What are the new rules for going abroad?

The traffic light system is being scrapped, and fully vaccinated people will need fewer tests after travelling to most countries.

How are the green and amber lists changing?

From 0400 BST on Monday 4 October, the amber and green lists will be merged into one list.

Anyone who’s fully vaccinated will no longer have to take a PCR test before travelling back to England from one of these countries.

That includes all of Europe and many other popular destinations.

They will still have to take a PCR test two days after arrival, but this will be replaced by a cheaper and simpler lateral flow test later in October.

The government hopes this change will be in place “for when people return from half-term breaks”.

How is the red list changing?

There will still be a red list of countries, but it is getting shorter.

Eight countries are being removed from the red list from 22 September, including Turkey, Pakistan and the Maldives.

If you visit a red list country, you’ll have to to spend 11 nights in a quarantine hotel, at a cost of £2,285 for solo travellers.

More info in the article.

Is this just a crowd-pleaser from BJ?

Will BJ’s opening of the door result in another catastrophic import of a COVID variant?

We’ll know before Xmas … :069:

1 Like

Business before lives!

We should be asking why people need to travel.

Cut out any travel which is solely for pleasure.

We are being told daily how the planet is on it,s last legs because of the harmful carbon
emissions being pumped into the air by exhaust fumes from our motor vehicles yet air lines and Boris , who should know better, is encouraging people to fly off abroad on holidays on planes which pump more ‘poison’ into the air than any motor vehicles.
Why should motorists care about emissions when air lines and the government don,t
One again it,s all about money.

1 Like

I agree BigBen…!

I think we should sneak a peak on an American forum and see what they’re up to. I can’t imagine any Americans or Canadians feeling restricted because of climate change.