Travel experiences

You have probably asked this before but what part of Scotland are you moving to? I think it is a beautiful country but of course I’m biased!

Hopefully Bearsden or Milngavie.
The latter has a pretty decent train service into Glasgow.
It is very beautiful although I’m going to have to harden up as far as the climate is concerned :slightly_smiling_face:

Suburbs of Glasgow. Not bad! I don’t think the weather is much different. Go further north to Fort William for the rain… where my father was brought up was the Outer Hebrides. That had the mild climate from the Gulf Stream.

1 Like

Stayed at the mill house in rutherglen many many years ago and a story that goes with it

So tell it ?

I already have done a couple of times before a long time ago, maybe on the old site as it was. see pm or my post on old site dated 21-07-2021,

As it’ came out in the 1960s, don’t ask me as to exactly why, but I just love the 747 aeroplane. The humble jumbo jet.

Travel experiences: Well, my first trip was solo between two countries, in the 80s before I bought my first car. Absolutely excellent experience. It was the trip of a lifetime. The airline which gave me this amazing opportunity is now defunct but what a trip!

My second time on a 747 was with an arrival date which was very sad for the whole world, Diana Princess of Wales funeral day.

The cars weren’t available as everything had been rented. So, two taxis to take all of us to King’s Cross Station.

Then onto a train to our temporary lodging. Fortnight and then into our new abode. The furnishings portion was fun.

As you can see I haven’t been travelling much. It’ll be 26 years since my last flight in my favourite aeroplane. Since 9/11, I wouldn’t dare getting in any planes. Along with the requirements nowadays since Pandemic, it’s a refusal there as well.

Regardless, I still have the trains here in the UK and if memory serves, it’s a ferry from East coast of Scotland to go over to Europe.

Nevertheless, my aeroplane travelling days are over and I’ll cherish those memories. Too bad that the copilot wings that I was given by the copilot were taken by a relative, now that’s missing terribly.

I’d watch all the Airport films with Joe Patroni played by George Kennedy. Therefore, the copilot on my first solo trip, as I’d got the chance for a private cockpit visit, ask me a ton of questions.

Apparently, these were part of the final exam and I’d graduate with flying colours. According to them, I knew all the procedures for takeoff, landing and emergencies. Hence why I was given a set of wings.

I was very proud but as mentioned they were stolen :sob:

I too thought the 747 was the bee’s knees. It certainly made a big difference on long haul flights from Australia to the UK.

I flew to Australia in 1966 on a Qantas 707 as a 19 year old. The journey took nearly 48 hours and thinking back it was hell. I don’t think that these days the 707 would be thought of as suitable for flying between Sydney and Adelaide never mind half way around the world.

The plane had to refuel every few hours so it was constantly stopping:

London > Amsterdam > Munich .> Rome > Athens > Istanbul > Tehran > Karachi > New Dehli > Dacca > Bangkok > Singapore > Darwin > Sydney (I think that is right)

In Dacca the Bangladesh conflict had just ended and the airport buildings had been destroyed so we had to stay on the plane while it refuelled (after it had negotiated shell and bomb holes in the tarmac).

Leaving Singapore the Indonesian emergency was in progress and the plane was not allowed to overfly Indonesian territory so immediately after take off it did the most amazing banking manoeuvre where “down” felt to be somewhere over to one side of the aircraft (hard to explain but very odd)

Darwin Airport facilities was basically a large corrugated iron shed as I recall.

There was no in flight entertainment other than a film shown on a screen at the front of the section, no free drinks just very basic food.

You can understand why, when I returned to the UK in 1968, I travelled by ship on P&O’s Himalaya

1 Like

Whoa! That’s a load of takeoffs and landings. I don’t mind the takeoffs but dislike the landings. Just feel much better when flying.

Currently watching David Copperfield TV specials on YouTube. Man that flying big he did in 1992 I think… Goddess me I wish I could lol!

So, you’re still in the UK or Australia?

Sue and I have travelled around a bit to places like Tunisia- Spain- Brazil x2 -USA x2- China- Japan - Egypt- Sicily- Norwayx2- Denmark- Russia- Latvia- Iceland -Fareo Isles and possibly more left out. not to forget to mention cruising to the carribean- twice times doing the mediterranean sea bit and several European countries.

I promised to upload pics and short clips of my recent hols - here’s an example of an ‘African’ forest. :crazy_face:

https://youtube.com/shorts/n5isZcsXopg?si=8AU7sr-EV8nCWZZo

1 Like

Off on another cruise in a couple of months, our third since I retired and have booked a few weeks in Florida for next year. Can’t wait.

2 Likes

Why are you invisible Graham?

1 Like

Returned to the the Red Centre of Australia for one last look at Uluru (Ayers Rock), Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) and Kings Canyon

Even managed to get a snap of my car enhancing Uluru with its beauty and magnificance

5 Likes

We did it all a few years ago.Nice to see it again.On the first night there was a lot of rain and Ulurur was a gigantic waterfall.So we walked around it, not up.We also had a balloon trip organized but that was cancelled.We’ll have to go back.

1 Like

Fantastic photos Bruce……

1 Like

Rain on the Rock is something to behold, the previous time I went it rained the night before I arrived so we saw waterfalls off Uluru. Definitely a rare occurrence and something you are very lucky to experience.

What was amazing (and in my opinion as memorable) was returning home a few days later to see how the desert had bloomed after the rain and was a carpet of colour. The change was incredible

3 Likes

Sorry, I was trying something out with avatars. :smiley:

1 Like

I have commented on a few more travels. The North Sea a few times, the Shetland Islands, Isle of Wight, and Outer Hebrides. .

I the 60s I worked with a bloke who claimed he had been overseas when he did National Service. He manned a radar station on the Isle of Wight

1 Like