Transient global amnesia

Apparently this is what I suffered from, last night at my daughters. Can’t remember anything for a couple of hours. Daughter called an ambulance, but by then I was fairly OK again, but the paramedics took me to hospital anyway. We waited 5 hours in the queue for admission, hours that the excellent paramedic team could have been helping someone in more need. When I said this the answer was, but you are our priority. I felt fine by then. The medics took my blood pressure regularly & when it was virtually normal a little while later they asked & I was allowed to sit in the waiting room & they were able to go back to their job. They waived me goodbye, they were a lovely crew.
2 hours later I had assessment, then an hour later a MRI head scan, bloods taken, several tubes full & more assessment, then they said I could go home, got a sheet of paper saying I was to go back later & would have more assessment, they sure are thorough. it was 7.30 a.m. & I was knackered. Daughter picked me up. I went to bed when I got home, should not have done as I’ve felt fuzzy all day. Daughter stayed & answered the phone, it was the hospital to say my appointment was for 2.15 p.m today. Back we went, saw a very nice Doctor who said that I had had a Transient global amnesia, no medication & extremely rare they happen again in a lifetime. To say I was relieved would be an understatement.
Anyone else here suffered one of those.

5 Likes

Blimey Tiff, that must have been so scary for you. I am very happy that all is well now and you are back home. I haven’t heard of it, nor suffered it…so I looked it up and it could be linked to migraines? Again, I know nothing about it, just the article I read…

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/transient-global-amnesia/symptoms-causes/syc-20378531

But I’m really glad you are ok. :hugs:

2 Likes

I did have a headache but it wasn’t a bad one & the paramedic gave me paracetamol.
Can’t praise that crew enough, they were lovely.

3 Likes

Its so good to hear something lovely about the ambulance crews…they get so much flak just now, and it isn’t fair.

3 Likes

They went above & beyond their duty to me. I don’t suffer from migraines, daughter does though, I had better warn her she could have one.

1 Like

Tiff, that must have been worrying for you and the family… but it sounds like it was a one off incident & they were very thorough in their care.
I am so pleased that you now seem better & hope it won’t happen again. :hugs:

1 Like

Goodness Tiff, that must have been worrying for you :open_mouth:. Thank goodness the ambulance crew looked after you so well.

I have never heard of Transient global amnesia before but it must have been a bot frightening at the time. So pleased you are feeling a lot better now.

1 Like

That must have been very frightening, I’m glad you’re OK

2 Likes

Thank you Pixie, Twink, Mags & Maree.
My daughter was more frightened than me, because I can’t remember any of it. When she was telling the Doctor what had happened I had no idea about any of it.

Yes, I’m sure it an anxious time for your daughter too. I was in hospital for a few weeks last year. That was a very stressful time for my family. Like you, I had no idea about it after the event until dear wife told me about it - several months later…

1 Like

Did you have the same thing, Besoeker? It was horrible not remembering 2 hours of my immediate life.

Not exactly. It was about eight weeks. I think the term is Aphasia. I’m getting better but remembering some simple words is immensely frustrating.

Gosh! That must have been far worse for you & your family, at least I am not likely to get it again, I hope not anyway.

Thank you kindly, Tiffany. I like this forum and the good people like you. It helps me to express my self much more lucidly more than I can verbally.

Enough !

2 Likes

How very frightening, Tiff.
I am so glad someone was with you and you weren’t alone when it happened.

Is it a similar sort of thing to a TIA?

I hope you continue to feet better every day now. :hugs:

1 Like

Thanks, Mups. I felt OK before the ambulance arrived,
At first I think the parametics thought a TIA, but they did all the tests in the ambulance & weren’t sure, as one said to me, ’ I’m not a Doctor, but I don’t think it was one, you’ll be tested more thoroughly in the hospital’.
I was so relieved when the Doctor in the hospital told me what I’d had. No medication needed & discharged.

Must have felt really weird and frightening Tiff.
I am glad you are home again and safe. :hugs:

1 Like

Thanks Mups.

Flippy neck Tiff. I bet that was a bit scary. Anyway, I’m glad to read you’re back to your normal self.

Thanks, Percy. If you can actually say I am normal that is. :grinning: