Transferring apps from old computer to new one

Hi,
I need some advice and hope that someone can help.

My laptop is becoming less reliable and I’ve decided to invest in a new one.
I have Office installation discs, but I cannot find any for Photoshop Elements and TurboCAD, yet I have legal copies on the old laptop.

Is there some way I can transfer those from the old computer to the new one?

1 Like

JBR,

I’d start by printing off the info in Belarc Advisor, for your old PC…

That should present you with the installation keys for all of the apps loaded there.

Then download, and install, the latest versions. on the new PC assuming that they can still be found on line, otherwise use your installation disks.

Another option would be to create a Clone of your Drive using something like Easus, then just pop the new clone into the new PC and try that.

Some people try copying one PC to the new one but they are likely to get themselves up the creek with no paddle because of the differences in the Registries, etc.

I’d agree with all that … :023:

Belarc will provide the basis for a plan - what to keep, what to discard and the order in which to install on the new PC.

There are lots of articles on what to do with a new PC:

Got a New PC? 11 Things to Do Right Away

How to set up a new Windows 10 PC perfectly in one hour or less

How to transfer data from an old PC to a new PC

For applications, I always obtain the latest versions of my preferred software but, in all cases, latest or old version, I always re-install and never copy.

Hi JBR

Before you do anything.Back up the data on your hard drive photos,music etc to an external HDD or to the cloud.

Thank you all for your advice.
Several things worth trying here.
I’ll work through them as soon as I get the new computer. Hopefully tomorrow, though Marge insists it’s a birthday present so I shouldn’t be having it until next week!

You know where to come if you have a problem - there’s at least half-a-dozen IT-tuned brains here … :wink:

Yes. This is always my ‘one stop shop’ whenever I need computer advice!

Update.
Sorry for the delay; have been rather busy.
I found the original installation discs for Photoshop Elements, TurboCAD and Microsoft Office 2007. I have installed them all on the new laptop. The latter didn’t require any confirmatory key, but the other two did. In each case I emailed the producers, explained that I needed to install the software on a new computer and assured them that I shall remove the software from the old computer before I pass it on to a friend. Both sent me a key quite willingly, probably because both of these programmes are old versions, especially the TCAD (v.16)!
Thanks again for the advice.

out of interest which version of elements you have and is it for windows or Mac. If for Mac I might be able to give you a newer version code

Thanks. It’s Photoshop Elements v.14 for Windows.
I did also have v.15 on my old computer which they gave me gratis for some reason. I think something had gone wrong which is why they sent me it, though the v.14 works perfectly.
I keep thinking about contacting them and telling them about the free upgrade. Maybe later!

Ok that was the latest I had until I bought the 2020 version and now it is 2021 version. l also have the Adobe Premier Elements 2020 for videos. Have to be truthful if your happy with version14 then stay with it. I ditched it because my disc copy started playing up. Adobe keep tweeking updates to make sales , this 2020 version I think will be the last i will buy anyway, the 2020 premier video version has everything I want.
Actually if you want the V14 premier video version as well if you download it I can give you a genuine code for it to work as it was my old one ( see in your message box)

Thanks, but I don’t use if for videos. I’d be totally lost!