Tour of Britain cycle race

Today the tour of Britain cycle race came through our town, hundreds of people turned up to watch & our house was on the route. We had people from Exmouth & other places watching it with us. A bit of excitement for a Monday afternoon. :grinning:

1 Like

My husband and I went to a few in the past , travelling near and far to watch , and cheer on .If Cycling was on TV he would be watching it live and then the high lights again in the evening .
Glad there was a good turn out Tiff, Cycling had many medals in the Olympics and Paralympics …
Well done to them all .

1 Like

It will be a good social occasion. There was a similar event around here when the Tour De France came by the end of the road. Everyone turned out. There was a build up of expectancy and then the cyclists were here …and then they were gone. All in a bunch with no stragglers. The whole thing lasted less than 10 seconds.

It was still an occasion that got us out and talking to people but the cycling part itself was a bit of a disappointment. People saying, “Was that it then?” :smiley:

I got some pics, but they aren’t brilliant, I was more interested in the police motorbikes. :grinning:

The first few came through, those were the elite, then a gap of a few minutes & the rest of the pack, but boy were they all fast.

1 Like

A few pics. The last one turned out very weird.

1 Like

Looking at where each days races are being held, it is more of a coach tour of Britain, with a few races spread across the country.

LOL @mart - not quite everyone - I would as lief watch my cat growing his whiskers!

1 Like

I hope they were all wearing masks.

1 Like

Son didn’t want to watch either, he’s not interested in cycles, but there were also a lot of motorbikes which he does like, so he dipped out there.

Some were some weren’t. We sat with our neighbours so no strangers near us.

1 Like

good photos Tiff,they do wiz through quick , and need to be earley to get the best vantage points .
The last photo looks like double exposure , its made a good effect .

1 Like

So do I - there is a place near York named Helmsley and - on Bank Holidays - there is a regular gathering of Bikers in the market square. Some superb machines - a;; shining and well cared for - and friendly bikers, male and female, more than willing to talk about their lovely machines. (Not my photo)

1 Like

We had our 6 year old granddaughter for the day, and guessed she’d be bored waiting in the heat for bikes to go past, so we didn’t see it :frowning_face:. Mind you, it’s been that hot today, I don’t think I’d have wanted to be wilting by the roadside either!

No idea what happened, I was firing off pics as fast as I could though. :grinning:

Ironically, though probably not on the same scale as the Tour of Britain, a boost to my region’s local economy was cancelled because of a small number of businesses kicking up a fuss about a 4 hour road closure for Le Etape (pronounced tap)

Such short sighted thinking in my opinion.

Glad you enjoyed the experience Tiffany

1 Like