Totally mad half hour!

Do your pets ever go completely bonkers?

Last night - minding my own business - speaking to a dear friend on the telephone - I was run over by a cat! Nemo, who had been peacefully asleep for some hours, suddenly went from 0 to 60mph - steeple chasing round the room - from sofa to chair to table to bookcase - back to sofa - ran over me - back to table - kicked over a basket of apples - threw my magazines off the coffee table - pushed a small ornament off the window sill - and broke it - tried to jump onto the mantleshelf and failed - went off in a sulk. Don’t know what triggered it - but have to admire his energy!

Maybe I should start having Whiskas and Go Cat for breakfast!!

3 Likes

One of my dogs was “gay”. He preferred is PAL to LASSIE dog food.Teazle has her mad moments as well

1 Like

Made me laugh out loud, that! Holly too had a mad minute or so while I was trying to sleep. She likes to rub herself around the bed, and along the carpet, making noises in her throat as she does so, and I had to put the light on to ask her, as I usually do in a playful voice, ‘what are you doing?’ Was it something in the air, lol??

1 Like

Yes even though Ellie is 11 , her mad moment comes on at 5ish when shes had her evening meal , thats when she starts ,it involves me and I turn into a snarling human on all fours chasing her round the room which she absolutly loves , She pounces at me and I pounce back and she bolts from room to room waiting for me to catch her up before she bolts again .
It ends with us both exhausted , I know then I can get back to normallity
till the next evening .

I love her to bits :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Coco used to run around the house for no reason at all every day, now she is old she can’t do that any more.

1 Like

This morning there is just a flopped out heap of fur on the end of my bed - snoring!

1 Like

At a guess, I’d say that a cat might be picking up a sound, which we cannot hear, as their hearing is so much sharper than ours.

2 Likes

Many decades ago, when I lived in the UK, my wife and I used to breed Burmese cats. My daughter used to call them kamikaze cats, they could circle the room at window/picture rail top height

1 Like

Yes, most of the cats I’ve lived with over the years used to have a mad half hour - and that’s exactly what I used to call it too!

It didn’t always happen at the same time but very often it would be in the evening, around ten o’clock. They would race around the room, scramble over the furniture and act as if they were being chased by a scary demon!
They would crouch down, tail lashing, looking for an innocent shadow to pounce on - grabbing a toy or cushion to pummel to death.
When I had several cats, one of them would usually set the others off, so they would all be racing around chasing each other as well as imaginary prey.

We had foxes around who would sometimes kill a cat and lots of farm yard cats who would have night time fights, so I always made sure I got my cats indoors in the evening and they couldn’t go out again until the next morning.
I used to wonder if their “mad half hour” was their hunting instinct being aroused when it got dark.

1 Like

We call it a WHIM (what have I missed) the impulse to check everything is as it should be while they have slept.
The experts answer.
Why is my cat running around the house like a maniac?
Image result for crazy cat chargng around the house

But there’s a technical term for this behavior: Frenetic Random Activity Periods, or FRAPs. When your cat gets an intense burst of energy, running around the house is a simple way for cats to get that energy out.

2 Likes

Interesting, I had to look it up, as of to why they behave like this, it was a really interesting read, so, I learnt something new,:+1:

Where would we be without the Internet.

@Cinderella - thank you for that - a really interesting read - must show it to Nemo!
I have been to the other side of town and back - he’s still snoring on the bed!

2 Likes

I tie a Stinkie on the end of a piece os string ( long enough to throw accross the room & pull it slowly towards you. I find that 10 mins play time usually calms them down
 & Tammy loves it!

Mr Grey , who is 5 years younger than Tammy, isn’t so active since his broken leg, but he loves toy mice and tries to pull their tails off so I bought him Ratty, bigger than a toy mouse with a sturdy tail. If you move Ratty and let Mr Grey see his tail moving , he will spend about 5 mins playing with it, then have a wash and go back to sleep.
Both cats come to bed with me and have 10 mins play time, then they fall asleep till about 6 am.
If they disturb your sleep, play before you settle for the night & they tend to adjust to the routine & not wake you.