Tory MP David Warburton suspended amid sexual harassment allegations - Update - quits as MP, triggering another by-election for Conservatives

The claims about Mr Warburton, who sits on the backbenches, are being examined by Parliament’s Independent Complaints and Grievance Scheme (ICGS).

Conservative sources have told the BBC that three allegations of sexual harassment are being investigated.

Mr Warburton has been MP for Somerton and Frome since 2015.

A spokesperson for the Whips Office said the party whip had been removed while the investigation was ongoing.

The Sunday Times also reported allegations that Mr Warburton had taken cocaine, and that he had failed to declare a £100,000 loan - taken out in 2017, and since repaid - from a Russian businessman.

Mr Warburton lives near Somerton, in Somerset, with his wife and their two children, his website says.

As yet, of course, there are only allegations filed against Mr Warburton - they may well be unfounded … :man_shrugging:

All is fine as he is being nvestigated by the laughingly called Parliament’s Independent Complaints and Grievance Scheme (ICGS) which is about as independent as Scotland. :smiley::smiley:

Conservative MP David Warburton has been admitted to a psychiatric hospital after a parliamentary investigation was launched into his conduct, his wife has told the BBC.

His wife, Harriet, said he had severe shock and stress but had no further comment.

This will be a private hospital will it or rather a private doctor prescribed it?

A detailed series of images, audio recordings and messages emerged last night implicating him in unwanted advances to women and narcotics at the beginning of February.

The women who made complaints against him told him they felt unable to approach his office regarding his alleged behaviour because Mrs Warburton handled HR for him, according to the Sunday Times.

One picture, which was circulating on Westminster messaging groups and obtained by The Mail on Sunday, shows Mr Warburton next to what appears to be lines of cocaine.

The allegations about the married father-of-two – who has been a Ministerial aide to both the Education and International Development departments – centre on a young woman whom he is believed to have met two months ago.

He is said to have invited himself back to her flat, where he asked the woman to order cocaine. An audio recording is said to have captured the MP saying that £160 for two grams of the illegal drug represented ‘quite good’ value.

According to the woman’s account, she became ‘increasingly uncomfortable’ when the pair were alone together, and says she went to her bedroom to put on her pyjamas to make clear that she wanted him to leave. She claims that when she emerged, the 56-year-old politician had taken off his clothes, and he then proceeded to climb into her bed.

Speaking to The Sunday Times, the woman alleges that despite making clear that she did not want to have sex with him, he rubbed against her until he fell asleep. She has not made a complaint to the police.

Two other women, both Commons aides, have claimed that Mr Warburton ‘pressurised them into drinking more alcohol than they wanted’, with one claiming that he ‘grabbed her thigh at the British Kebab Awards’.

In another alleged incident, the MP is said to have kissed an aide’s forehead, stroked her hair and placed his hand on her thigh. One of the women has produced texts in which he said: ‘Have some cheeky coke obvs’, while in another he asked: ‘Does your dealer do Westminster Bridge area!?’

The Mail on Sunday has learned that Conservative party managers are investigating a potential link between the allegations coming to light and a foreign Communist Party.

So, it could be a stitch-up and the lines of coke were planted in an edited photo … :roll_eyes:

As yet, unknown … :neutral_face:

Of course it will be private, us plebs have to gibbering wrecks with a large kitchen knife in each hand before we might just be referred to a trick cyclist. :rofl: :rofl:

When I want to make it clear I would like somebody to leave I hand them their coat , open the front door and say goodbye.

4 Likes

As you do! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

It must be to do with his 8 stone weight loss!!

I know, please Miss I know!

After losing all that weight he could at last see his little friend down there, and remembered what to do with it!

1 Like

What woman would head off to the bedroom, strip off and get into her pyjamas if she has a bloke in her home who was making her feel uncomfortable and she wanted him to leave?!
Surely that would send the opposite message to the one she wanted to convey!

I would stay fully dressed and well buttoned up - tell the guy it was time he left, open the door and send him on his way - I would wait until he was gone, so I could lock up and get cosy in my jim jams.

2 Likes

A Somerset MP is facing an inquiry into his conduct by the parliamentary standards commissioner.

David Warburton, the MP for Somerton and Frome, was suspended from the Conservative party in April over allegations of sexual harassment.

However this new investigation is into whether he broke the code of conduct for MPs on three counts.

Mr Warburton told the BBC he had done nothing wrong and welcomed the investigation.

The alleged code breaches include paid advocacy and failure to declare an interest or register a gift.

Tut-tut … :roll_eyes:

A Conservative MP who was suspended following allegations of sexual misconduct has resigned.

David Warburton, who represents Somerton and Frome in Somerset, is the fourth Tory MP in eight days to announce their resignation.

Mr Warburton said the past 14 months since allegations were published in a national newspaper had been “extraordinarily difficult”. He added that the allegations about him had been “malicious”.

His immediate departure means there will be a by-election arranged in his seat, which he has represented as an independent since losing the Tory whip.

Mr Warburton had taken the constituency from the Liberal Democrats in 2015, was re-elected in 2017 and 2019. He won with a majority of 19,213 in that last poll.

He said in his three-page resignation letter he had been denied a fair hearing by the Independent Complaints and Grievance Scheme (ICGS) and prevented from “speaking out” while it investigated the accusations.

Another sore loser … :man_shrugging: