Tory Leadership Election 2022 - Part 2 - Rishi Sunak - Winner

I am not sure about that, perhaps a worthy second?

Howard, Rudd, Gillard, Rudd, Abbott, Turnbull, Morrison

All PMs within a 10 year period…

No, first deffo, you just have to ignore the clowns.

Now the interesting thing is whether Truss gets an increased pension or pay because of her brief sojourn as PM. Does she?

Will she go quietly to the back bench or do the honourable thing and resign from Parliament? and cause a bye election?

Will it take another two months?

I wonder if, by the time I wake up tomorrow, Liz Truss will have U turned her decision to resign?

1 Like

She has created several records apart from being the shortest serving PM she is also the first PM to have served two monarchs since the equally appalling Winston Churchill.

1 Like

There are no rules to prevent that, Yet! No doubt if they try it will be one more futile failure.

2 Likes

Avarice is an ardent counselor; anything could happen.

2 Likes

Not an un-biased choice, of course.

Rishi Sunak was tight-lipped this morning on whether he plans to enter the race to succeed his former leadership rival. Leaving his house in London earlier, Sunak did not answer questions from reporters and said nothing as he walked from his front door to his car.

Penny Mordaunt is not currently working on a leadership bid but is “taking soundings” from colleagues and talking to as many people as she can about standing, the PA news agency is reporting.

Before BJ makes his “come-back”, let’s cast our minds back to just over three months ago, when he resigned.

Johnson was ousted from office after months of revelations and apologies over Partygate, which saw the prime minister fined for breaking the law, and various other MPs and aides accused of holding parties in official buildings during various Covid lockdowns.

Johnson was fined by police for breaking lockdown rules after he went to a gathering on his birthday, and he apologised for going to a bring-your-own-booze party in the Downing Street garden during the first lockdown. The then chancellor Rishi Sunak was also fined.

Johnson was then accused of misleading MPs in the House of Commons about Partygate. He is still under investigation by a Commons committee over those claims. He could face suspension from the Commons or even lose his seat if he’s found to have been in contempt of Parliament.

In June, Johnson was forced to apologise after it emerged that he’d appointed Chris Pincher MP to a government role after being told about a misconduct complaint against him. Downing Street first claimed Johnson was not aware of “specific allegations” - this was untrue, and the PM later admitted being told about a complaint in 2019. Many saw this error of judgement as the final nail in Johnson’s political coffin.

The saga triggered an avalanche of government resignations, which ultimately led to his downfall.

Of course, the full “shambles” of BJ’s tenure as PM has yet to be documented but his tardy response to the COVID pandemic in the UK, which resulted in the deaths of tens of thousands of UK citizens, and the corruption which pervaded his administration in the acquisition of PPE, will, undoubtedly fill a sizeable chapter and should never be forgotten.

I would hope, therefore, that MPs with at least a modicum of morality will prevail in the Tory party poll.

1 Like

Who are they? I think we should be told.

4 Likes

Any MPs who may be thinking of throwing their hat into the ring will be spending this weekend carefully sounding out how many supporters they may be able to count on.

As they need a minimum of 100 nominations to qualify, I’m guessing none of them will want to rush into saying they will stand until they are fairly sure of getting enough nominations to qualify - there can only be a maximum of 3 candidates.

Perhaps each “camp” within the divided party will be busy deciding which 1 candidate would be best to put forward to support their “camp” - although I think there’s at least 4 different “camps” within the Tory Party now, so the final nominations will be interesting.

1 Like

‘Boris or bust’: Rees-Mogg backs Johnson

Business Secretary Jacob Rees-Mogg has become the first cabinet minister to offer their support for Boris Johnson in the leadership contest.

Rees-Mogg has long been a staunch backer of Johnson’s, most recently serving as his minister for Brexit opportunities before taking up a role in Truss’s cabinet.

In July, the MP for North East Somerset said the huge wave of ministerial resignations which eventually pushed Johnson out had been “orchestrated” and “coordinated”.

Surprise, surprise … :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Rees-Mogg reminds me of one those old-fashioned puppeteers.
He doesn’t want to step up to the plate and take the bouquets or brickbats and flak for himself but he likes to try to manipulate people from the wings to implement the policies he wants.

I wouldn’t want to be backing Rees-Mogg’s choice of leader - he backed Truss in the last leadership election and look at how that’s ended! :rofl:

2 Likes

Love it!
Cats are such good judges of character.
:rofl:

1 Like

I wouldn’t take that man’s word for anything.

2 Likes

That is exactly what I said about Ree-Smugg the other day. He wants the influence and to see his small state, low tax for the rich policies - but he wants none of the responsibility. And that says he has no backbone.

1 Like

Mog with his dead eyes and the disgraced buffoon is that the best the tories have to offer .

If Johnson was to return the conservatives have greatly misjudged the pulse of the nation.

2 Likes

So far today:

• Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has ruled himself out of the Tory leadership race and says he would “lean towards” supporting former PM Boris Johnson at the moment - Wallace adds he’s still looking at other “excellent candidates” and that Johnson still has “questions to answer” about a parliamentary investigation into whether he misled MPs over Covid rule-breaking
  • No-one has announced their intention to run yet - but among the rumoured frontrunners to replace Truss are, former candidates Rishi Sunak and Penny Mordaunt, and Johnson
  • A BBC tally shows
  • 45 MPs are backing Sunak,
  • 24 are backing Johnson
  • 17 are backing Mordaunt
  • There will be a hustings on Monday to help Tory MPs decide who to back in the leadership race

Update:

Currently 106 out of 357 Tory MPs have gone public with their support. Many others may not declare who they are backing, and more could announce their decisions over the weekend - so expect the numbers to continue to change rapidly.

Rishi Sunak - 56 MPs

Boris Johnson - 33 MPs

Penny Mordaunt - 17 MPs

Follow link for names of supporters.