Tory conference: Liz Truss - speech will say disruption will be worth it for growth

Would you prefer Fact Check (worth reading the full article to see how you were duped into believing it):

Claims that the Bank of England has already spent £65 billion to support the economy following the government’s mini-Budget have been widely shared on social media.

These claims are inaccurate and misleading. The Bank of England said on 28 September that it was prepared to spend up to £5 billion a day on temporary purchases of long-dated UK government bonds “to restore orderly market conditions” over a period of 13 days.

If the Bank had spent the maximum, then spending would total £65 billion.

However, the Bank has not spent the maximum. Over the course of the first five days of the Bank of England’s operation, around £3.7 billion worth of long-dated government bonds were purchased—rather than the maximum £25 billion that could have been spent over the same period. On 4 October, the Bank did not buy any bonds at all.

Would you prefer to read my earlier post?

Yes and the figure quoted in FullFact is now £3.7 billion not 22 billion, so thought it might please you.

I don’t really understand the ins and outs but I just can’t see
the PM helping the UK because she is wrong. Sunak was nearer
the mark. The sooner we have a GE the better.

2 Likes

No, it was a question. Questions have “?” at the end, comments do not. Fortunately others were thoughtful enough to answer it.

I missed hearing the Truss speech - did she really walk onto the stage for her speech using the same song that Tony Blair used to use?

According to this article, Michael Pickering from M People was furious.
When Labour has used the song, they had the good manners to ask the Band for permission first - but the Tories hadn’t asked.

Looking at all the lyrics of that song, they should have played the first two verses!

You’ve done me wrong, your time is up
You took a sip from the devil’s cup
You broke my heart, there’s no way back
Move right out of here, baby, go on pack your bags

Just who do you think you are?
Stop actin’ like some kind of star
Just who do you think you are?

2 Likes

Conference couture comment:

Liz Truss delivered her first speech as prime minister at the Conservative party conference wearing a dress that appeared identical to that of a fictional tyrannical female dictator.

The red dress worn by Truss is very much like the one worn by Emma Thompson for her portrayal of Vivienne Rook – a Nigel Farage-meets-Katie-Hopkins figure – in the dystopian science fiction miniseries Years and Years. The drama, written by Russell T Davies, is set between 2019 and 2034 and follows Rook’s inexorable rise to power as the leader of a far-right populist party amid increasingly chaotic global affairs.

Sheer coincidence … :question:

3 Likes

I’m more worried about the BDSM day collar necklace!

Well, she’s a neo-liberal. Party members should have known that when they chose her and what it means she will do🤷‍♀️

“ Neoliberalism is contemporarily used to refer to market-oriented reform policies such as “eliminating price controls, deregulating capital markets, lowering trade barriers” and reducing, especially through privatization and austerity, state influence in the economy.” :nauseated_face:

https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/15/neoliberalism-ideology-problem-george-monbiotneo liberal

And she believes those policies will lead to growth and trickle down effect? :rage:

Or is George Monbiot right about her?