Tory conference: Liz Truss - speech will say disruption will be worth it for growth

Swim heckled by who, the only hecklers I saw was ‘green peace’ who got kicked out.

I’m trying to work out who this Chinese person is that she’s talking about. She shouted the name out thrice.

Prime Minister Liz Truss has begun to deliver her speech to Tory conference in Birmingham.

She walked on stage to the sounds of a “90s classic” - in this case Moving On Up by M People.

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

She looked mighty furtive throughout, as though she was looking towards some men in white coats, or the police, to see if they were coming to take her away; and that she only had a few moments to rattle out her big rambling thoughts for the day

Liz Truss vowed to “get Britain through the tempest” and insisted “everyone will benefit” from the result of her economic policies in her keynote conference speech during which she was heckled by Greenpeace supporters.

Addressing Conservative members at the event in Birmingham, as she battles to save her premiership, the prime minister acknowledged that “these are stormy days”.

“In these tough times, we need to step up,” she continued. "I am determined to get Britain moving, to get us through the tempest and put us on a stronger footing as a nation. She continued: “Whenever there is change there is disruption. Not everyone will be in favour but everyone will benefit from the result.”

Ms Truss was interrupted by two Greenpeace protesters who heckled: “Who voted for this,” as they held up a banner.

In a tweet after the incident, Greenpeace said activists were there to “denounce the prime minister ‘shredding’ her party’s 2019 manifesto promises”.

“The PM is U-turning on fracking, strong climate action, and world-leading environmental protections. Who voted for this?”

Continuing, the PM told the audience she and Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng “will keep closely co-ordinating our monetary and fiscal policy” after the government’s tax-cutting mini-budget saw the pound slump to a record level. She promised “an iron grip on the nation’s finances” and vowed to break Britain out of a “high-tax, low-growth cycle”, adding: “The chancellor and I are in lockstep on this.”

Ms Truss said she is “working flat out” to make sure people can get through the economic crisis. “So let me be clear: we have your back,” the PM added.

The PM said she and Mr Kwarteng U-turned on abolishing the 45p tax rate on top earners because it “became a distraction”. “I get it and I have listened,” she told the audience.

Outlining her three priorities for Britain’s economy: “growth, growth and growth”, Ms Truss said she “will not allow the anti-growth coalition of Labour, the Lib Dems and the SNP to hold us back”. She accused Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer of having “no long-term plan and no vision for Britain”. Hinting at more “disruption”, the PM also promised that her government will always be “fiscally responsible”.

But the speech, which was just over half an hour long, contained no new policy announcements and made no reference to benefits - which the PM is facing another split within her cabinet over.

Ms Truss exited the stage to applause and quickly left the conference venue.

So, just the same old, same old sound-bites from RoboTruss … :robot:

2 Likes

It wasn’t very exciting at all really…but then again, we didn’t really expect anything else. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Quite … all talk and no trousers … :man_shrugging:

Risking to veer more off topic, I am happy to be corrected. That is assuming Guido Fawkes is a reliable source of info (usually it is not, its a right wing puff piece) and their number of £22bn is correct. £22bn IS STILL AN OUTRAGEOUS NUMBER. It’s 20 plus new hospitals. Its twice what the UK spends in foreign aid. Its 7 times what we spend on our fire service.
Saying it is “only 22bn” does not make it better.

1 Like

deleted…off topic.

Off-topic.

Chaps, while I applaud your goal of keeping the contributions to this thread on topic, I think you are being over pedantic here. My point was about the scale and cost of the so called “disruption” from the mini-budget. How much more on topic, given the thread title, can I get?

Would you prefer Fact Check (worth reading the full article to see how you were duped into believing it):

Claims that the Bank of England has already spent £65 billion to support the economy following the government’s mini-Budget have been widely shared on social media.

These claims are inaccurate and misleading. The Bank of England said on 28 September that it was prepared to spend up to £5 billion a day on temporary purchases of long-dated UK government bonds “to restore orderly market conditions” over a period of 13 days.

If the Bank had spent the maximum, then spending would total £65 billion.

However, the Bank has not spent the maximum. Over the course of the first five days of the Bank of England’s operation, around £3.7 billion worth of long-dated government bonds were purchased—rather than the maximum £25 billion that could have been spent over the same period. On 4 October, the Bank did not buy any bonds at all.

Would you prefer to read my earlier post?

Yes and the figure quoted in FullFact is now £3.7 billion not 22 billion, so thought it might please you.

I don’t really understand the ins and outs but I just can’t see
the PM helping the UK because she is wrong. Sunak was nearer
the mark. The sooner we have a GE the better.

2 Likes

No, it was a question. Questions have “?” at the end, comments do not. Fortunately others were thoughtful enough to answer it.

I missed hearing the Truss speech - did she really walk onto the stage for her speech using the same song that Tony Blair used to use?

According to this article, Michael Pickering from M People was furious.
When Labour has used the song, they had the good manners to ask the Band for permission first - but the Tories hadn’t asked.

Looking at all the lyrics of that song, they should have played the first two verses!

You’ve done me wrong, your time is up
You took a sip from the devil’s cup
You broke my heart, there’s no way back
Move right out of here, baby, go on pack your bags

Just who do you think you are?
Stop actin’ like some kind of star
Just who do you think you are?

2 Likes

Conference couture comment:

Liz Truss delivered her first speech as prime minister at the Conservative party conference wearing a dress that appeared identical to that of a fictional tyrannical female dictator.

The red dress worn by Truss is very much like the one worn by Emma Thompson for her portrayal of Vivienne Rook – a Nigel Farage-meets-Katie-Hopkins figure – in the dystopian science fiction miniseries Years and Years. The drama, written by Russell T Davies, is set between 2019 and 2034 and follows Rook’s inexorable rise to power as the leader of a far-right populist party amid increasingly chaotic global affairs.

Sheer coincidence … :question:

3 Likes

I’m more worried about the BDSM day collar necklace!

Well, she’s a neo-liberal. Party members should have known that when they chose her and what it means she will do🤷‍♀️

“ Neoliberalism is contemporarily used to refer to market-oriented reform policies such as “eliminating price controls, deregulating capital markets, lowering trade barriers” and reducing, especially through privatization and austerity, state influence in the economy.” :nauseated_face:

https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/15/neoliberalism-ideology-problem-george-monbiotneo liberal

And she believes those policies will lead to growth and trickle down effect? :rage:

Or is George Monbiot right about her?