Too many deer in Oz - anyone want free meat?

Apparently we have 2 million deer in Oz and they are beginning to destroy the habitat etc and will need culling - about like deer meat in UK going cheap?

Yes please - venison is fantastic meat. The fillet is particularly good. Send us much as you can!!

1 Like

And I’ll second that!

I think there is a similar problem in Scotland as they have no natural predators anymore.

There have been tree planting programmes which have been affected by the number of deer, So deer management or controlled culling is used to keep the numbers down.

I do like venison sausages which are less fatty and have a rich flavour.

This seems to be a problem in many countries - same for wild boar (not a big problem in the UK but certainly is in Europe). This causes a dispute between those who advocate hunting to control deer / boar numbers and thus make quality and organic meat available. But some do not like the idea of such animals being shot. And some others suggest the re-introduction of wolves to help control deer & boar numbers. Then farmers get involved and note that wolves are as likely to control sheep numbers.

I had a kangaroo steak once when I was a kid… delicious!
Very rich and flavoursome.

We’ve got plenty of grey squirrels and signal crayfish :wink:

My son in law used to shoot deer on his parents property on the escarpment behind Wollongong where they are a particular feral problem.

Years ago I asked him what they did with the meat and was told it was shipped off for dog food. Of course I protested and thereafter received regular supplies of venison backstrap to fill my freezer.

Alas his parents just sold the property so now it is a food source denied to me. :cry:

We cull deer in the UK too.

Australia doesn’t want to just cull them it wants to be rid of them

and kangaroo but not sheep??

They want rid of an entire species…surely not!

As I understand it, the red deer are an invasive species and not natural to Australia. They are plentiful elsewhere in the world - indeed too plentiful in the UK. So removing them entirely from Australia would be a benefit to the rest of nature there.

1 Like

Yep, every single one of them, it won’t happen but they will try (like the rabbits). Unfortunately in the past it was hampered by the sporting shooters who would like to preserve them and prevented them from being declared a feral pest but that problem has been overcome.

Deer are everywhere in the escarpment and areas where it is very difficult to cull them.

1 Like

Oh dear dear dear me ! they’re gonna cull me around the tree

Funnily enough there was a piece on the local ABC radio about the increase in wombat roadkill.

In the Wollondilly Shire for example, there were 43 wombat deaths on the road in 2022 whereas this year already there have been over 80, this is apparently true of every local council area.

The current theory for this staggering increase is that Wombats are having to compete with a large increase in the feral deer population and are being forced to graze closer to roads.

I heard you shoot cats in Australia too or was that fake news.

No, it is not (entirely) true, they are registered pest though but you cannot just go out and shoot them.