Too many cars

I live in a cul de sac and everyone has long drives but its horrendous getting to my house with cars parked either side of road.
My next door neighbour has 4 cars one each adult and one each teenage kids, they have a 14 year old so no doubt another car will appear in time lol.

I’m getting increasingly nervous on our roads because of the volume of cars and people carriers out there.

Where will it end? The congestion on the roads is dreadful especially at school time which is when im on my way to work, I cant avoid it as I have schools on both sides of our cul de sac.

Tell me your ideas of how this problem can be solved

Have you tried talking to your local councillors? I know they come in varying qualities, but I am friends with all 4 of mine. They being 3 City councillors for this ward & one County Councillor & I know one of them is dealing with a similar issue locally.

A councillor can stop you being the centre of attention & allow them to approach others. It could be that others are worried about the situation too.

Morning Lion Queen :039: How’s you and John?

We live in a cul-de-sac and have the same problem, not so much in the cul-de-sac, but all the surrounding streets have cars parked on the roads and obstructing pavements, and most of them with empty drives… :017: The upside though is; while they are all parked, they are not polluting the atmosphere… :sunglasses:

However, It’s all under control Lion Queen, it might take a little time but the days of everyone owning and driving a vehicle will soon be over…The cost and availability of diesel and petrol will soon become prohibitive to most, not to mention the excessive road tax. (I paid over £200 for my 2 litre diesel this year) and the sale of conventional vehicles will be banned from 2030.

Can you imagine how the family with the four cars will be able to charge up their vehicles all at once. The national grid are having trouble supplying everyone now, and the cost and availability of energy will be astronomical in the future. And everyone thought that smartmeters were a good idea… :mini: Did you know that in the future they will be able to ration your supply of electricity by turning off or limiting your supply, because as sure as eggs is eggs, there won’t be enough power stations to supply everyone’s needs.

Covid has helped to lessen the blow by suggesting you can work from home and buy online, no need to go out at all…We have all got used to buying online now, and unless you have been jabbed, many luxuries like holidays and concerts will no longer be available, and those that have been jabbed are unlikely to need a vehicle in five years time other than an ambulance…

Yes LQ same in my cul de sac but I’m fortunate as I have a garage in a block at the cul de sac end and I can park there. But recently people were blocking the entrance to the 5 garages and I couldn’t get to my space and the culde sac full of cars . I requested the council painted KEEP CLEAR on the road by the garages it took months but in the end I got it done . Still the occasional rude person blocks the garage entrance though.

Some have 4 cars some have 3 I have one little mini and parking is done badly and without thought . I did think of writing little cards asking politely for people to park considerably and am thinking about it .

As for the roads icant believe the amount of cars the country has gone mad . I bus when I can or walk when i can

Alternatively, go out when it gets dark and spray the badly parked vehicles with brake fluid… :flushed:

I think everyone who lives in a cul-de-sac has the same problems, my Daughter & her partner do as well. These houses weren’t built to house people with several cars per family, they have narrow drives & if a garage then it’s only big enough for one car & is usually full of stuff anyway. When these houses were built the designer gave them the most minimum space for a drive they could to get more houses on the plot.
In my Daughters road opposite her house, there is one household that continually park in the turning space, so no one can turn or get into their driveways. They have been told about it, but still do it. As their house is now sold & they will be moving soon, Daughter & Partner haven’t done any more about it, they just hope the new owners are more thoughtful.

W0W, You wee devil you. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

We don’t live in a cul-de-sac, but are on a busy main road with double yellows on the opposite side to us. We have no front gardens, so no driveways, and everyone parks on the limited space on the road, or in adjoining roads.

Added to the mix is the senior school just up the road, which converted to an academy a few years ago. Being now profit driven, it has built a big community sports hall and floodlit sports field. So the world and his wife now come most evenings to park in our road and surrounding roads, to use the gym or take their little boys for football practice. It means that, unless we really have to, we daren’t go out early evening because we’d never find anywhere to park on our return!

On one such evening last week I returned from a mercy mission to my daughter to find no space either in our road or round the corner in another road. I drove down to another turning on the opposite side and found a space. As I was getting out of the car, a woman called from the house next door :
Woman: “Are you going to stay there? Because that’s his space. You’re not allowed to park overnight there!” (pointing at the house I was parked outside - which incidentally had a long driveway!)
Me: “Yes I am” I replied.
Woman: “No you can’t park there, that belongs to that man, he always parks there!”, she shouted at me, waving her arms in a temper.
Me: “This is a public highway, that man might own his house, but he doesn’t own the road outside his house. It is public, and anyone is allowed to park here. I own my house around the corner, but someone is parked outside, which they are allowed to, so I have to find somewhere else to park, and I’ve found this space.” She was red in the face by this point!
Woman: “Well I’m going to ring the police on you” she shouted.
Me: “Go ahead, they’ll tell you exactly what I just told you.”

As it happened, Mr B wanted to pop round to Aldi, so he went and got the car and when he got back there was a space just down the road. But these parking wars are just going to get worse and worse. I dread to think how we’ll cope as we get older and our mobility gets worse. Even if we were disabled and managed to get the council to paint a disabled parking space outside our house (extremely unlikely they would!), we wouldn’t be any more entitled to use it than any other disabled person.