Tomato Flu on the rise

• oh dear :frowning_face:

Good grief - not another plague about to strike!!??

1 Like

I hope not…:scream: Its probably just fear mongering media again.

1 Like

Have I possibly got it? When I read the topic heading, I had to read it a couple of times, because my mind read it as Tomato Flu. (Silly Billy)

2 Likes

Yes, Dave, It is called Tomato Flu -

I have never heard of it before but just looked it up in The Lancet - The Sun newspaper is reporting much the same thing about the virus as The Lancet is.

Although it’s a self-limiting virus, so the kids will recover without any lasting damage, it does sound as if it will be quite painful and uncomfortable while it lasts, with those large skin blisters.

I feel sorry for the poor little kids in India who have caught it.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(22)00300-9/fulltext

2 Likes

Oh dear that does look very sore.

1 Like

Yes, Tomato Flu so called because the blisters look like tomatoes :frowning_face: Its awful and I hope it comes to nothing.

Cheers @Bruce :+1:

1 Like

@PixieKnuckles , l wonder what you would get if you crossed a monkey
wiv a tomarta ??:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Oh come on people…Enough is enough…
Throw away your newspapers and switch off the news you are all being taken for fools…
:crazy_face:

1 Like

Don’t be silly, Foxy - you’ll be telling us that Chicken Pox was all a conspiracy theory next!

Only if you were a chicken - not many of them were taken in by it though.

Where on earth is Kerala anyway.
A coconut drops on somebodies head in the Solomon Islands, the BBC or the daily mail report it, and we all duck…
:roll_eyes:
Never mind what goes on at the otherside of the world…We’ve enough problems here haven’t we?

The human race must have angered the gods greatly, to be visited by so many plagues, one after the other :101:

It makes you wonder if it always has been so Sheba, but now there is money to be made out of the panic…
:mask:

2 Likes

It is a very beautiful part of SW India, Foxy.

2 Likes

Some people are interested in what’s going on in the World, outside this tiny island we live on.

There’s quite a large British ex-pat community in Kerala. I have friends living there and have visited several times. I expect there will be lots of folk in UK interested in news from India, as am I.

Tomato flu is a new virus

I dint really know why it’s made major news here as its not life threatening and only 100 children had been affected at time I read the report. Its a bit of scaremongering I think by the media. On this occasion I agree somewhat with foxy

1 Like

Hi

Kerala is the southern tip of India, they have their own unique language and speak perfect English with very little accent.

The reason we are interested is that an awful lot of NHS staff nurses and sisters come from there and there is a lot of travel between Kerala and the UK.

Six years on from Brexit we still aren’t training our own and government have just said they want another 60000 Indian and African Nurses here by the winter

I did not realise it had been major news, to be honest.
I assumed it was just a snippet of interesting information that was reported in the Health pages of the newspaper - it is unusual because of the unique visual symptoms of this viral variation - it’s the kind of thing the media often pick up on because it’s something different and outside our experience.

Considering the News Report did stress that
“The Indian Health Ministry has reminded people that the virus is non-life threatening”, I don’t think they gave the public any cause to panic.

Maybe the British public have forgotten that viruses are part and parcel of life because our kids have been so well protected for so many years from most of the unpleasant viral infections that used to infect us and our parents generations when we were growing up.
The reason we have been so well protected is that the Health Authorities here and around the world have taken steps to try to eradicate dangerous or uncomfortable infectious diseases.
Part of that eradication process is making the public aware when there is a viral outbreak and letting them know what the symptoms are and when they should isolate from other people, so that those infected will not spread it further.