Tom Hanks hails Edinburgh bookshop owner as his hero

I found this article really interesting! A bookshop owner in Edinburgh loves typewriters, and typed a letter to Tom Hanks, who replied with his own typed letter. I didn’t realise there was still such a love of typewriters in this world of technology!

It inspired me to dig out my old dusty one that I got from a charity shop years and years ago. Not that I am writing to Tom Hanks of course, but I’d like to get some ribbon for it and bash out a story just for old times sake!

4 Likes

I saw that & he replied on paper from a film set.

3 Likes

I saw that too! How amazing to get a piece of movie ephemera! :+1: Something to treasure indeed.

1 Like

As an after thought, I wonder if Tom Hanks hates the Monkeys.

The story linked to above points out that typewriter engineers hate tipex & points out that Tom Hanks had XXXXX his mistakes out, not used Tipex, so I wonder if tom likes Mike Nesmith? As it was Mikes mother, Bette Nesmith Graham who invented Tipex.

2 Likes

Well that’s an interesting observation. However, as a typewriter purist myself, I would prefer to X out my mistakes rather than use tippex. I also like a few Monkey’s tracks, so in Toms defence, I don’t think that’s valid. :relaxed: Its a very intriguing connection though, thanks. :smiley:

2 Likes

What a lovely machine. I think literary types do have a fondness for typewriters, so many masterpieces typed on them

It reminds me of Stephen Kings Misery when she gives him a typewriter with a missing “N” and cuts his thumb off when he complains! :scream: