Toddler falls through manhole, into 5' deep sewer

Honestly my heart was in my mouth watching the video in this article. Thank God she actually saw him fall through, because it happened so quickly, she could so easily have missed seeing where he went.

Fair play to the mother, she was straight into the manhole to rescue her son. Nice one mum.

4 Likes

She did brilliantly, so quick, he wasn’t down there a minute. And she was so close to catching him by his jumper before he went in

Max maternal instinct there :+1:

4 Likes

And thank heavens she’s fit and slender - if that had been a larger lady she would never have got in there to get him out. So scary to even think of that :scream:

2 Likes

Well done to little Theo’s mum for acting so quick, things could have turned out worse.

1 Like

I thought that, too, Sheba.
Or he could have been out with his Grandparents even.

Surely that cover couldn’t have been put on right to flip open so easily?

1 Like

If you watch the video carefully, you’ll see that when they first walk past the manhole, the mother takes a longer stride to avoid stepping on it. And as Theo turned to walk back, she seemed unconcerned until he was about to step on it - it was at that point that she rushed forward and tried to grab hold of his clothing. Did she have some kind of subconscious intuition that it wasn’t safe, I wonder?

Oh God, I wouldn’t have been able to get down there - I mean, I’d fit, but I doubt I’d be able to bend and reach him, not like she was able to, Makes me go cold thinking about it,

Good job there weren’t any Punji-sticks down the hole!

As for that inspection cover - cheapest rubbish, probably improperly installed, and IMO improper for use on a footpath. Time for that family to meet with a solicitor. I certainly would.

1 Like

Yep, wrong type of cover in the wrong place. It looks to me that that cover should be a heavyweight cast iron 2 triangle-type not a lightweight one piece jobbie like that one.

2 Likes

I was thinking about that today, I could probably have got in there and pushed him out, but then I’d have been too short to get out myself!

1 Like

Yep. Same here, Maree. :smiley:

2 Likes