Today I went into battle fully armed

Just think how the poor little spider must have felt, LQ!

:100:

well yeah, I have to say he was bloody well sprinting at some speed so he must have been more scared than me lol

I totally agree. But my dear wife has a phobia with them. Lots of women do. This one was in my garden. Dear wife was terrified.

2 Likes

My grandaughter was asleep in her bed and woke to find a huge black spider walking up her arm . Isnt that awful . Bless her

I had a scratchy back of my neck while asleep a while back , I kept scratching under my hairline when I woke the morning there was a dead spider in my bed , it must have been on me :tired_face::tired_face:

I wish with all my heart I wasnt paranoid . Do you know I have actually held a tarantula and she was lovely I wasnt scared at all I had hoped it would help me but it didnt .

That works for me too Baz, ever calm and practical… drives Rosemary mad sometimes. :rofl:

Great photo Mac… :+1:

@susan_m - send them all to me - spiders are welcome in my house - I know what they eat!

3 Likes

I have always had a fear of spiders but I didn’t want to pass it on to my sons and tried to be very brave around spiders when my sons were small. Luckily they both grew up not inheriting my fear (phobia?). As I get older though the old fear has returned …

2 Likes

I love spiders and am forever trying to 'get there first ’ before Chloe has a snack :astonished:

I find a glass over a spider to see where it is and table mat slipped under the glass by far the best way to remove one . The glass can be placed outside so the spider can leave at at its leisure :grinning:

2 Likes

That sounds so simple the way describe it Meg it takes a lot of courage for me to do it though!!

I kinda like spiders, not afraid of them at all. Their amazing webs fascinate me. But most of my friends are fearful of them, don’t like them anywhere near them. They do so much good, as Baz says, and Tabbs.

But, I can only hope you never have another episode in the middle of the night like that one, Susan. :grinning:

We have a little spider that lives in our wing mirror.
It annoys Mr M and he has tried unsuccessfully to wash it out .
I love it it comes with us everywhere :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“susan_m, post:24, topic:84731, full:true”]
My grandaughter was asleep in her bed and woke to find a huge black spider walking up her arm . Isnt that awful . Bless her

I had a scratchy back of my neck while asleep a while back , I kept scratching under my hairline when I woke the morning there was a dead spider in my bed , it must have been on me :tired_face::tired_face:

I wish with all my heart I wasnt paranoid . Do you know I have actually held a tarantula and she was lovely I wasnt scared at all I had hoped it would help me but it didnt .
[/quote]

I did that too & it didn’t help with the large hairy House spiders. I wouldn’t kill those. I catch & evict them but not in my hand like OH used to do…
I can cope with the others, any garden spiders are fine, small spiders are fine, at present there is a plague of tiny, probably baby, spiders in the sun lounge & they love to dangle in my hair & around my face, on their invisible silk strands. Those don’t bother me either. They are the size of a pin head.
The only spiders I kill are the False Widows, when I can catch them, because they pack a nasty bit & it can make you very ill. BTW, the sun lounge is full of spiders & some are False Widows, but they are sneaky & disappear into cracks when I spy them, they know their days are numbered.

But Tiffany those tiny pretty baby spiders have potential to become blooming great fast hairy monsters :tired_face:

Yes & I suspect most of them are False Widows as well, but not many will survive & the ones that do I can then identify & kill. :woman_supervillain: :woman_mage:

1 Like

Last September (full on spider season!), I needed a loo break in the middle of the night. I opened my bedroom door, and was just about to step onto the landing when, in the dim light filtering up from downstairs, and without my specs, I thought I saw something move on the floor in front of me - in fact exactly where I was about to put my right foot. I stopped, grabbed my glasses, and turned on the bedroom light. And there it was - a huge hairy spider frozen rigid at the sound of my advancing feet! I usually keep a large tumbler and a big piece of card in the bedroom at this time of year, so I grabbed them, captured the beast, and threw him out of the bathroom window.

Now, I never, ever wander around in the semi dark in the middle of the night in bare feet - my slippers are always at the side of my bed :wink:

1 Like

I can’t say I actually love them, but I could never throw one out of my house when the weather is cold. there are some , like the one in Barry’s photo that I think are lovely & big ones like tarantulas dont frighten me ( as long as they dont bite me).
My greatest fear with the big house spiders is that I can’t touch them in case I accidentally remove a leg or crush it’s body… I just wish my cats felt the same as I do! :roll_eyes:
I just give them a name and they seem like a temporary pet!

2 Likes

That’s it Barry, just deal with it and get on. It might drive the female in your life mad at times but what’s the point in making a drama out of a crisis, as some obviously like to do? I don’t have to put up with any of that which means I can be the person I am, without having to even consider anyone else.
:grinning:

1 Like

This morning, while having my usual scan of the news items on various media, the article on the link below drew my attention. As I recalled there being a thread about this subject, I thought it might be worth adding to the thread. This gives an explanation for the appearance at this time of year by numerous spiders:

WARNING:
For those who have a genuine fear of spiders this news item contains pictures of them

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-09-10/spider-season-expert-says-be-grateful-for-giant-house-spiders

Eeeeek