To kill a mockingbird bird

What are they on about ?
Harper Lee highlighted racial abuse and discrimination.

1 Like

How ridiculous. Mockingbird is wonderful parable. The bloke is an idiot.

Now, I have to read the book again to see what the issue is …

To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my daughter’s favourite book, she has read it so many times and never tires of it.

Read the book at school many years ago and I watched the film with my son only a few weeks ago.I really didn’t see any issues at all.

My favourite book, read the book many times, also did my Exams at School based on that book, seen the film as well.

Also a classic of mine since high school. So many personalities, issues, family life, instincts and emotions to deal with. There is a lot to be acknowledged and learned from Harper Lee’s winner. Even the movie is well worth watching.

Have you read “Go Set a Watchman”?

Turns out Atticus Finch was a racist after all. I didn’t enjoy it as much as “To Kill a Mockingbird”

All part of Britain’s demise.

You mean there is a sequel? I never knew that - thought it was a one off.

Ditto, have read it many times.

As far as the school is concerned, instead of educating its pupils to read and think for themselves, it seems to prefer to dictate what they should read and what they should think. What hope have we as a society if we raise young people who are unfamiliar with the processes of studying subjects and applying rational and critical thought to the most important matters in their lives ?

It makes no sense to me. It is such a powerful book, such an important book. With any luck, banning it will have the opposite effect and encourage the school’s pupils to seek the book out and read it, just as so many did with Lady Chatterley’s Lover in the 60’s.

Another example of people looking for something to be offended by :roll:

It was until Harper Lee published Go set a Watchmen relatively recently. You can buy both books in one volume now.

I thought Go Set A Watchman was a prequel to To Kill A Mockingbird but it was published afterwards making it a sequel.

Here’s what Wiki has to say:
Go Set a Watchman is a novel by Harper Lee written before the Pulitzer Prize–winning To Kill a Mockingbird, her first and only other published novel. Although initially promoted as a sequel by its publisher, it is now accepted as being a first draft of To Kill a Mockingbird with many passages being used again. Wikipedia

Never knew any of that - thank you both very much.:smiley:

I don’t know about that but in Go Set a Watchman Scout is in her 20s (26 sticks in my memory) and another characters has died. It is definitely a sequel no matter what its origin.

Agree! If you look hard enough you can be offended by anything. This is very sad. It’s a classic read. Then again the road runner was banned here. The road runner. Maybe the beep beep was offensive . I’m not sure.
I personally think humanity is losing it

You’re joking! I used to love the Road Runner and Wily Coyote cartoons!

What the deuce. It was an allegory for the David and Goliath story in the same way that Tom and Jerry and many others were in which the underdog always came out on top.

Wonder what the reasoning was:confused:

As for the Mockingbird stuff, although it’s perhaps a reasonable concern about how a white man is depicted as a saviour for a black man, one would have thought that this would lead to further discussion of the matter and not really used as a template for how things are meant to be.