Tintagel in Winter

We went to Tintagel today to blow away the Twixmas cobwebs

It was cold and windy but incredibly beautiful

And we had pasties!

6 Likes

Posted from Cornwall? I thought you were in Cornwall :grinning:

1 Like

We were, we got them in the shop, Pengenna is our fave, but they post them all over the country if you want them to :rofl:

1 Like

Lovely pics Maree! And a lovely part of the country.

1 Like

I thought Tintagel was a ruin of an abbey but I must be muddling it up with something else

Didn’t Wordsworth write something about it like

“Five years have past, five summers, with the length of five long winters!”

That’s all I can remember and even that might be wrong.

As I say I am probably confusing it with something else.

1 Like

What’s in that second picture? I can’t make it out. statue?

1 Like

It’s a statue of King Arthur. Who may or may not have lived in England after the Romans left. :grinning:

And may or may not have been a Roman anyway.

" Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. You can’t expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you"

1 Like

Yes, it’s a lovely poem Wordsworth wrote when he was quite young, I think

But Wordsworth wrote it about Tintern Abbey in Wales. Tintagel is a ruined medieval castle on the cliffs in Tintagel in Cornwall

1 Like

Ah Tintern! similar to Tintagel but not the same.

1 Like

It’s magnificent and huge! 8ft tall sculpture in bronze by Rubin Eynon of a ghostly king holding a sword

Called Gallos it’s supposed to not only represent King Arthur but also the history of the site with the ancient kings of the realm of Dumnonia, now known as Cornwall, using it as their Summer residence

2 Likes

Indeed, the historical facts on the Arthur legend are tenuous at best!

You either choose to believe in the magic and legends or don’t….I do, of course :rofl:

The link to Tintagel started in the 12th century when Geoffrey of Monmouth said it was the birthplace of Arthur, son of Uther Pendragon

And based on the legends, Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall, built a castle there in the 13th century

Thanks! So much more recognizable as a statue from the front.

Yes!!! I was hooked on the show Merlin. It was one of the first shows I binge watched a few years ago. After that, I watched a couple different Merlin interpretations and tried to find out more of the history/legend. Fun!

1 Like

It is fascinating and fun, I know most of it is nonsense and just tall tales but I love it :two_hearts:

The legend is that Merlin magically made Uther Pendragon, King of Britain, look like Duke Gorlois of Cornwall so he could the seduce his wife, Queen Igerna and that’s how Arthur was conceived :astonished::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Better storyline than the soaps :joy:

2 Likes

I went to Tintagel several times. The fairs we attended were in the King Arthur’s Hall which is in the middle of the main street. A huge granite building which also had a souvenir shop… Unfortunately they closed it to the public to do repairs on it & I don’t know if it was reopened.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve been to some craft fayres there. It’s all done up and open again now, and it’s a wedding venue too. I think it would be a great, romantic setting for a wedding

1 Like

We went to the Teddy bear fairs, Maree. They were great fun & we sold a lot of bears too.

1 Like

Always nice when there’s good footfalland you sell some. It’s a pretty venue too

1 Like

Our stall at a fair. Think this was 2017

Setting up, same year.

2 Likes

That’s a lovely stall, no wonder you did well :+1:

1 Like