Time tunnel question

Ok yes another of mine but what would you do? please read carefully before answering. Just another mad hat thought when waking up this morning

In theory you decide with 5/6 of your closest friends to use the time tunnel for your 2 weeks holiday. So you all decide to go back to the late 1800’s to a small village in Ireland. While there you meet and fall crazily in love with a peron of the opposite sex. The questions are

1= would you stay there with them or return with closest friends to your own time
2 = go back with them and leave the one you fall madly in love with
3= bring them back with you tearing them away from all they know

1 Like

It must be better to bring them back with todays modern medicine, but how would I explain it to the wife…?

Is this based on that Star Trek episode where Captain Janeway does just that on the Holo deck? :rofl:

Tricky one. One of the main purposes of going back in time is to make sure that you’re pretty blooming wealthy upon your return, without changing history somehow!!

No idea what I’d actually do in your scenario Realspeed. As my mother used to say…you can’t control your emotions, but you can control what you do about them

I’ll just stick with the quaint little village in Ireland. Everyone else can do as they please :smiley:

1 Like

I would leave them behind even if it broke my heart

Stay there? I’d probably be dead within a few years without 21st medical help. I couldn’t abandon my friends and family ( or my husband! :rofl:) or my beautiful England. I’d miss modern technology and urban living, there’s far too much countryside around a village for me

Bring him back? The old man would kill me :rofl:
And even if I was single it would be wrong to drag him away from everything he knows and loves and a place where he belongs

Reminds me if those women who marry Masai warriors and bring them here to live, they’re out of time, out of context, like they’re your pet. You wouldn’t do that to someone you love?

So it’s tears, fond farewells and broken hearts all round for me :cry::sob::weary:

I don’t think I’ll go :rofl:

Yes Masai warriors don’t look so good stacking shelves in a supermarket.

1 Like

There was a film similar to these questions. In it the person fell in love with someone from another time & left her there as he knew she wouldn’t be able to cope in his world, but she had been reincarnated & he found her in his life time. Can’t remember the name of the film though.

3 Likes

It isn’t a film. It’s the story of a wannabe Tory PM contender and a would be Chancellor of the Exchequer. :wink::grin:

1 Like

I don’t do politics, so you are wrong, Dex. :grin:

1 Like

I remember that film, Tiff, and really enjoyed it. I have tried looking it up and all I can find is The Time Travellers Wife, which isn’t it at all. There’s one called The Time Traveller, from 2009, but I can’t find anything about the plot, which is strange :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Ok Tiff. How about Terminator? :joy:

If I were young, sixteen and dewy eyed I might stay.
At the age of sixty, sod the 19th century.
Where would I plug in my air fryer?

Thinking about the economic and social conditions in Ireland in the late 1800s, and all the troubles of the divisive “Home Rule” political strife, I would not want to stay in that time and place for the rest of my life if I was able to escape the poverty there and return to my safe and comfortable home in the present day.

Back in the late 1800s, Families in Ireland must have still been reeling from the catastrophic Great Famine of the mid 1800s, which caused so many deaths. Although life expectancy had nearly doubled since the days of famine, by the late 1800s, average life expectancy was still less than 50 years.

By the late 1880s, a lot of Irish folk from the rural villages in the South and West of Ireland were migrating over to UK to find work or emigrating to other countries if they got the opportunity.

I’m guessing that if I went back in time and met someone from a rural Irish village in the late 1800s, they would be more likely to want to migrate to England with me than to want me to stay there to share their poverty.

Either way, I would have to be a bit careful about messing with history - some of my ancestors migrated from rural Ireland in 1890 and made their way to settle in an agricultural village in the North East of England.
What if my time-travelling resulted in me meeting and falling in love with one of my ancestors and he escaped through the time tunnel with me - and his escape to this century meant that he never emigrated in 1890.
If he had never emigrated and taken his widowed sister and her young children with him, then my Grandma may never have grown up in the village where she met my Yorkshire-born Grandad, so my Mum would never have been born and I would never have been born!

Oo-errr! - I wonder what would have happened when my new lover and I got to this end of the time tunnel? - would I have just “disappeared” on the journey back?!

If I stayed there with him, it may still have prevented him emigrating, so the rest of my family would not exist (and neither would I) - and if we stayed together and we had emigrated to England together in 1890, I would have been snuggling up to my Great, Great uncle as my husband/lover while travelling with my Great grandmother and my baby grandmother and great aunt, before my Mum was even born … hmmm… :exploding_head:

I enjoy watching or reading fiction about time travel (like The Time Machine - or lighter stuff like Goodnight Sweetheart) but trying to think through the effects of messing with history can be mind-bogglingly weird! :joy:

Another time travelling series which I love are the books by Diana Gabaldon and the TV adaptations of them, Outlander.

1 Like

Boot
And all it needed was a choice of 1-2 or 3 :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Sorry @realspeed but none of the 1,2,3 options fitted my reply!

I wouldn’t be making a decision based on what my friends were doing but on what I thought was right for me, so I guess if I’m pushed to accept one of those 3 options, the nearest I could get would be to adapt Option 1, as highlighted in bold.

1= would you stay there with them or return with closest friends to your own time

I thought your thread and opening post was an interesting and captivating concept, which deserved a fuller reply.
Great thread! :smiley:

no probs Boot nothing wrong in doing your own thing

What Ireland in the 1800s No !
That’s when the potato famine struck.
I wouldn’t hang around for long , I would love and leave them.

I can’t remember, Pixie, but I don’t think it had anything about time travel in the title.

Far too violent, Dex, this film was a gentle romance. :grin:

Was it Somewhere in Time?