Time to sort your paperwork?

How often do you sort through your paperwork, old bills, receipts, bank statements etc ?

I keep mine for a year but a friend has bills from 10 years ago !

What about you ?

2 Likes

I’m absolutely dreadful at this sort of thing - I’m never going to work in an office! :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Tend to have a tidy out once in a blue moon, which coincides with when we need to find something. Never regular though.

3 Likes

I don’t have bank statements any more, i went ā€˜paperless’ years ago, but receipts are the worst thing ever, supermarket receipts in particular.

I stuff them in my shopping bag and forget about them until i can’t ignore them any more.
Then i have a massive clear out.

2 Likes

Some of mine are in Latin! :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

We are pretty paperless now but, one does have spreadsheets of information going back years, I can tell you what we spent on groceries on 05/07/2011 if you like :grin:

3 Likes

I always think of my poor daughter if anything should happen to me, having to wade through and dispose of years worths of bills, old letters etc.

She’ll have enough to do sorting out my wardrobe ! :laughing:

4 Likes

Maybe it’s best not to remind yourself…!

1 Like

Our kids only have to push the ā€œDeleteā€ button, that is what good parenting is all about :icon_wink:

2 Likes

5 Likes

I tend to stick everything in a pile and when it gets big enough, i will sit down and sort, file or shred. I’m probably at that point now…:thinking: and will get round to it sometime when i have a clear out.

3 Likes

I have folders neatly marked in a single space in my computer room. I file any important document immediately where it belongs. I only keep relevant paperwork for income tax time, as I’ve done my own filing for 5 decades now. Every six months I review what I have and what to be on the look out for. No excess receipts (utility bills, monthly vehicle payments, insurances, IRA accounts, retirement accounts, bank statement) as this is all kept online in your account for 5 years. It’s immediately accessible so no paperwork needed.
Can you tell I’m neat and organized IRL? Training from accounting career and law enforcement!

8 Likes

Creep :grimacing::grimacing::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I agree! It’s a despicable habit, and I should be ashamed of myself :grin: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Be my girl friday. :heart:

3 Likes

we have a clear out every new years day

4 Likes

As soon as it comes into the house, I deal with it. Can’t stand clutter, and don’t like having an enormous pile to deal with

6 Likes

Administrator here so of course I have a filing system and a shredder and a drawer full or maybe two … of stationery :laughing:

2 Likes

Never mind paperwork, I just noticed I still have my original Krooklock from the UK in the 1960s hanging on my garage wall.

2 Likes

That blows another myth Bruce, I was always told, folks used to leave their front doors open because there was no crime back in the 60s

1 Like