Throwing things away

I’m preparing myself to be uncharacteristically ruthless!

Oh blimey not another one. My husband does that - about the only shops he goes into these days are charity shops for books.

1 Like

john came home with a very big 70s radio/cassette last week, it’s mahogany and sticks out like a sore thumb in my modernish living room…but…hey, the sound is brilliant so I decided not to chop it up :wink:
I must take a photo to show you

I tend to keep things “just in case”. The number of times I have later on found something useful which I put to one side has saved me a bundle of cash.

Last year i downsized .
I wanted a new start , for me that meant getting rid of most of my possessions.
Also none of us are going to live forever with that in mind I didn’t want to leave a muddle for my sons to sort out.
It was easy …I sold , auctioned and gave to charity.
Thanking a lot items before I dispatch them.
I’ve now got my free spirt back I’m not surrounded by the past …the future is looking bright.

If I need something I’ve got rid of …I’ll have to buy or borrow , so far that hasn’t occurred.
I can really recommend a good Declutter.

Ooh, some of you are so good.

What are you like with paperwork? How long do you keep bills for, or do you get rid of, or shred them once they’re paid?
That’s something else I file away and keep, at least for 12 months anyway.

There is an unwritten scientific law that says if you thrown something “useful” away you will sure as hell suddenly find that you need that very thing six weeks later. This can be proven by some nifty algebraic equations.

1 Like

We don’t need a lot of this “stuff” to be perfectly happy. 99% of stuff is anxiety - fear of annihilation.

1 Like

Anxiety? How do you figure that one out Annie?
A percentage of 99% seems way-out to me.
As for fear of annihilation, I don’t get that at all. :thinking:

We assign meaning to stuff Mups. It’s just stuff. The sentiment is projected by us.

1 Like

I have great intentions but not much goes out.
I have too many beds and was thrilled that my son was having visitors last weekend and needed a bed.
I now have a room that I can use as another lounge/living or dining room. The trouble is, l will hardly use it … maybe l could get a lodger but maybe not, l don’t want any cuckoos in my nest!! :laughing:

Ah, yes, I can understand about stuff having meaning and sentiment, but that doesn’t cause anxiety - does it?
I would have thought looking or holding something that was dear to you and carried happy times, would more likely bring you fond memories, not anxiety?

Or am I getting this wrong? Did you mean we can’t throw it away because it would cause anxiety?

I’ve thrown my algebra out! I have what I call the “Away Day”! Every month, I go into all rooms and see what I can…

(1) Throw AWAY!
(2) Give AWAY!
(3) Put AWAY!

2 Likes

When l was married, my late mother in law used to offer to tidy my house whilst l was at work. She described it as ‘tidying my corners’!
She used to throw out everything she thought should go out. I used to have to ferret through the bins to get our stuff out… she’d binned most of her son’s/my husband good underpants and good socks in the bin.
I should have remembered he was still joined to her by the umbilical cord and she could never let him go!!

1 Like

Being minimalist makes finding things easier, also less dust , house looks tidy . I go stay with little sister OMG clutter bug , clothes packed in wardrobe , even on chairs in bedroom , bottles , jars , sprays on top of furniture . Loads and loads of toilet rolls , stuff everywhere . She can never find anything , her dining table cluttered.

I’ve always said you can tell how a person’s mind is when you go into their home , a cluttered house is a cluttered mind , don’t shout at me it’s just my philosophy :slightly_smiling_face:

I can’t bear to throw anything away, it is sure to come in useful eventually. Probably why I need a very cluttered four bedroom house to live alone in though I can sleep up to seven extra people if needed.

The local council has a “Hard Rubbish Collection” day every year.You leave stuff out,most things,and they take it away.We never have anything,in fact my BH goes around other people’s rejects to see if she can add to her hoard.

Got one of you at home, fortunately, you don’t remember what you’ve hoarded so don’t notice when it magically disappears! ……… Beam it up, Scotty :rofl:

I need to throw a LOT of my bits, but am just being lazy. I keep meaning to search on our local social media pages/groups for a ‘man with a van’, who can help me, and take away my rubbish. My garden specially needs clearing.

Paperwork gets thrown into a box, in the hope I can find a professional shredding company (there is one near me) to take the whole lot. I did ask the lady up the road if she wanted some bits, as she does car boot sales. Maybe I can sort something out for her. She leaves stuff in one of her cars, as a storage facility, lol.

Susan I had to smile when I read your post because that is exactly what my old form master said once to me . He peered into my desk when I was rummaging in it shook his head and said untidy desk untidy mind !
I also felt guilty as your sisters house sounds remarkably familiar :blush:

1 Like