Thoughts On Electric Cars?

I’m a little reluctant to trust them. kik

Just don’t think the battery ones currently (no pun intended) being made are the way forward.

1 Like

I would get too anxious worrying if I could get it charged up when I was out. I was in a very large car park last week and there were just 4 charging points. It says that you can have a maximum of 4 hours charging. So you pay to park, pay to charge and have to be back within 4 hours.
Same at a large Park and Ride I go to regularly. Only 3 charging points. Now, what happens if I get there, need to charge but they are all occupied and drivers have gone off into the city all day?

1 Like

I think there are some significant limitations. Range is one. Maybe that isn’t a problem for local distances. Make a trip to a holiday area and it can be another. Then there is the energy requirements if the vehicle is in a domestic residence. Typically a residence uses about 10 kWh. A typical EV charge is 40 kWh.

2 Likes

As already touched upon…infrastructure issues and unlikely to be resolved soon, recharging times too long. Also, limited resources for battery manufacture. Finally, we have barely enough generators to supply domestic usage (as Besoeker states), yet alone expand to green generation.

Two days ago, wind turbines generated circa 4% of the UK’s electricity due to lack of wind, and had to be topped up via gas powered stations. We’re in no place whatsoever to consider en masse EV’s.

1 Like

Not a driver, but I do wonder what they do with all the expired batteries. However, I do think it would be easier to fill up/charge rather than go to a petrol station.

1 Like

I doubt I will ever have an electric car other than one like this t.

My Isuzu D-Max has a few years left in it yet. Distance is the problem but I expect it will be solved eventually

There is no doubt sales are rising and my local shopping Mall has two charging spaces which currently I have seen used only on one occasion. The NRMA (think AA or RAC) is installing them left, right and centre. There is even talk that shopping centres may use solar panels on the roof to provide free charging while you shop.

As I say, probably not for me but I do know one person that has one (an Hyundai Kona) so they are certainly coming.

1 Like

I doubt that I could afford one.

1 Like

There’s a chance for them to be used for up to another 10 years in applications such as stationary energy storage in combination with renewable energy generation, such as wind and solar, and/or to supply services to the electricity network. This is what is known as the battery’s “second life”.

3 Likes

How interesting, Dachs, I didn’t know this!

1 Like

Good point.

All you ever needed to know about NRMA chargers (I suspect they are similar to all chargers)

They even have a handy map showing just NRMA chargers - my sat nav shows all types. including Telsa chargers

We are being threatened with power cuts, OK that is annoying when the telly goes off, but, no power for charging the car, that is catastrophic.

1 Like

But your car is also a very big battery that could run your house for hours. Unless you do a phenomenal mileage an electric car only needs charging weekly, in Sydney for example the average daily car usage is 38km, I think most electric cars have a range of about 400km on a charge.

I know my bikes range, just need to scale the knowledge up.

I thought l heard recently, with the rise of the price of electricity that it will now cost as much as petrol.

1 Like

Which is why we now heat and light our house with jars of petrol dotted around. These are also great for cooking marshmallows on.

2 Likes

That theory is all well and good Bruce, provided you can charge your leccy car at someone else’s house.

Eh?

How long do you think these power cuts will last? Power cuts are usually shared around, a couple of hours or less at a time but anyway the advantage of a car is that it has wheels and can be driven to a power source to be charged up, even better they have sat navs built in with directions to the closest one.

People can plan for these sort of events and keep their car charged up.

Electric cars were being discussed on TV this morning. There has been quite a slump in people buying them mainly due to charging costs which is now 17p per hour.

1 Like