Thomas Cook - how long will it take to get money back?

My son’s farther in law lost his mom last year, she left him a lot of money and her house, he wanted to take is his family on holiday. He booked with Thomas Cook for next February to go to Cuba, 17 adults one child. They have all been so excited now it looks like Thomas Cook are going down. I know he will get his money back but how long will it take. :frowning:

1 Like

I was shocked to hear the news about Thomas Cook. Has it emerged what the problem is yet? I know when they take our money they hang onto it for months before paying for flights and hotels etc. As you say Ethel, how long will it take to get the money back? They are never very quick at that sort of thing are they. Hopefully they will be able to book with someone else in time.

When Monarch went bust I seem to recall contacting my bank immediately because I had paid by credit card .
Can’t remember tho how long it took.

Who knows so many rumours flying round, miss management,fuel cost, not keeping up with the times, we might never know.

I don’t understand after reading this. Thomas Cook seems to belong to Germany.
It’s all very confusing .

In 2001 Thomas Cook was acquired by the German company C&N Touristic AG, which changed its name to Thomas Cook AG

:confused:

Oh, I think it merged with My Travel

My daughter is panicking a bit. She and her three boys are to fly out to America for their holiday next month.
She hopes to be refunded via her credit card.

And my younger sister is due to go to Turkey next weekend with our ex sister in law, and two other ladies. Whether they paid on credit card, I don’t know.

A very interesting read Puddle Duck, is there nothing British these days…:frowning:

I know that paying by credit card gives you extra protection, but you surely have travel insurance before booking a holiday - so it would be them who refund anything paid, then they wait for refunds/compensation from Thomas Cook.

Hi

The Government is being asked to bail them out.

Of the three biggest shareholders, one is American, one Chinese and only one is UK.

We should not get involved.

Its a private company we should not get involved unless it’s to help get people home. I do feel sorry for people stuck in places. What always angers me most about companies that go bust is they always seem to be taking money and accepting orders right up to the last minute when they know weeks before they are going down. I’ll never forgive my husbands employers years ago accepting orders until the doors closed and putting the employees on overtime leading up to it then refusing to pay wages, holiday pay and redundancy pay. Evil some of these owners are, absolutely money grabbing and evil.

Thomas Cook have now collapsed. The company is no more. No further efforts to save it could be found.

It’s awful news especially for the employees, the suppliers, transport companies, caterers and everybody involved in the business.

Hopefully all the people stranded abroad will get home on schedule and others who have holidays booked can be accommodated elsewhere.

I had a booking for next August with Thomas Cook to go to Greece for my SD’s wedding anniversary. I have cancelled my direct debit and I’m about to ring my bank to hopefully get my first DD reimbursed

My sister is a bit miffed and objects that those stranded abroad ‘have had their holiday’. I asked her to look at it positively and that SHE isn’t out there, stranded. She went to New York earlier this year, and has been away countless times, so it’s not like she’s never had a holiday. At least she can try with another company, at some point.

Very sad news all those people out of work and many with families and mortgages, Christmas just around the corner. People will get their money back, but the poor people working for them are at a big loss. So sad

Isn’t this just the way the world is going these days with these massive companies getting into difficulties. Too many chiefs and not enough indians…and trying to compete with the internet, and in a global market…

On the news this morning one of the travel journalists told that at around midnight last night he was able to book a £195 holiday abroad with Thomas Cook yet at 2am they declared liquidation .
The company knew yet took peoples money . The journalist used his credit card knowing he would get his money back

Surely this is fraud

Yes you must inform your travel insurance company after checking the small print on your policy .
They tell you how to proceed .

Hi

It transpired that senior management have been paying themselves £millions in Bonuses.

They probably did this to avoid news of their financial difficulties getting out to suppliers and others who have accounts with them. If this happened the company would go under while perhaps there was a chance of being sold or run by receivers until a potential buyer is found. I agree it’s unforgivable, although as I’ve found out after being made redundant in that way four times, there’s no sentiment in business! :frowning:

Hope you get reimbursed Floydy, you should be OK with the Direct Debit Mandate guarantee I would have thought. If any deposit was paid on credit or debit cards they too should reimburse that amount.

Yes, I know as that’s happened to me four times. Except for one time I was always able to get another job. That one time was not a good experience though, all part of the world we live in I guess. :frowning:

Morally, yes it was not right but according to the rules of running a business it was not fraud, technically the company was still operating legally. Had they managed to raise the £200 million they would still be in business and up until 02.00am they were.

Isn’t that usually the case Swimmy…:frowning: