This just has to affect our health

What is it that brings us joy?
Our happiness must affect our health, as it has a direct impact on how much we do.

So what is it that makes us happy?
For me, there’s many things, but here’s a condensed list:

• helping those who need it
  • being part of something greater than myself
  • Feeling loved and appreciated
  • being useful
  • interacting with peers and those whom I love
  • deep conversation’s and learning new things

Of course there’s an infinite list of different things that could facilitate meeting those needs, but in the end, these are the goals I believe my inner self truly desires.

What would you say are the things that you need to be content, happy, or fulfilled?

4 Likes

As you say, lot’s of things - my family and friends. And enjoy a stroll with the dog every day even when it is inclement.

1 Like

That’s a word I’ve never heard before, I had to look it up. :thinking:
Thanks, I’ve learnt something new today. :sunglasses::+1:

Hi

A Brilliant Post, StormVet.

Thank you so much for posting it

I am a mine of information…
Naperian logarithms for example. John Napier was a mathematician from around 1600. He lived in Merchiston Castle in Edinburg. The interest for me Napier University. I digress…

Contentment, now there’s a word… happiness and joy?
Can’t pull out the party poppers at the drop of a hat :wink:

Totally agree AStormVet.

Get out for a brisk walk 2 or 3 times a day, essential for good physical health, good mental health, gets the blood circulating therefore warms you up better than central heating this time of year.

1 Like

Good health and a sense of purpose. Being kind to yourself. Everything else is nice to have but won’t feel joyful without the first two and I don’t think you can be truly happy if you are too hard on yourself. It’s in recent years that I’ve realised how closely health and happiness are linked. Some illnesses greatly affect brain chemistry.

I’ve recently had a very nasty bout of Covid from which I am still recovering and that certainly affects you mentally as well as physically. The worst thing was an inability to sleep because of things going around and round in my head. Probably on day 2 to 5. It’s almost like going mad and because this whole experience was coupled with a very traumatic bereavement, the grief and emotions combined with the virus to create a sort of insomnia delerium.

The whole experience really leaves you quite flat inside. I’m not even looking forward to Christmas and just feel very down. It helps to understand brain chemistry and think “this too shall pass”. But I do think that joy will only come with a bit more recovery. Health is wealth as they say.

1 Like

Sorry to hear you have been poorly Annie… :hugs:
I hope you make a good recovery and can enjoy Christmas.
Happy Christmas from the Fox…xxx

1 Like

Oh no sorry to hear this Annie. I must say I admire your positivity though and I can tell by that piece of writing you’re a deep thinker. I think if anyone can get through this, you can. Good luck with your recovery :mending_heart:

1 Like

So sorry you have been feeling so unwell Annie.

Fingers crossed you improve during the next few days and can enjoy the Christmas period. x

1 Like

The ocean, river, lake or garden pond, I need to be by water

Plus a cold water swim, of course :joy::cold_face::bikini:

1 Like

I am sorry you feel down Annie, I hope you feel better soon

I was interested you said a sense of purpose is important

Since I’ve retired I’ve been trying to find something to give me a sense of purpose, otherwise I’m not sure what the point of me is :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I retired over ten years ago. A couple of things that I enjoyed my time. The first is enjoying walks especially with the dog.

And the other is photography:

2 Likes

It takes a while to adjust to retirement after a full working life @Maree but as time goes on you will find things that you enjoy doing and give you a sense of purpose. When I first retired I decided to research my family tree which took me to so many interesting places I had never known about - I am now writing up my findings for one of my grandsons who found it all fascinating - unlike other family members whose eyes glazed over when I mentioned my research. I found it interesting and time consuming but very worthwhile. I now transcribe Parish Records for a genealogy website, which assists other researchers.

1 Like

Good post Pipsqueak. I had a good few hobbies when I retired so never looked back even though I loved my job as a postman. Running and the wild places have always been my passion. As I got older and had some health problems I could no longer do the long country runs, so I started trig point bagging. It requires research and map work sat at home in the warm, and then on the nice days, out in the hills but just walking mainly. Best of both worlds…
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

The sense of purpose is sooooo important!!!
I am disabled because of a hand injury. So I was unable to work during years when other men my age were in their working prime.
I got to feeling as if I wasn’t participating in society, wasn’t at all productive, and had lost any sense of purpose which, after being a soldier, was a hard hit.

Thankfully in volunteer with some retired military officers at church and they help guide me to opportunities to serve where I can be most useful.

2 Likes