This is the time to spend spend spend!

Yes, it is, but it’s a Facebook group, so no use to you if you’re not a member but that’s part of it’s popularity with the youngsters I expect

Feed yourself for a £1 a day on Facebook

The lady who runs it, Pat Parker, is in our age group, though

Pat Parker Feed yourself for a £1 a day

And she does have her own website to compliment it

Pat Parker Website

But most of the fun and best ideas are from the members themselves on the Facebook group

I’ve been cooking all my life and was very hard up when the children were small but they’ve taught me so much :+1:

1 Like

Going back to the original title of this thread …
This year we will be spending money on:

1. New carpets throughout.
  2. Having the front garden relaid with stone chippings rather than the crabby grass that’s there now.
  3. New fencing along the dividing line between us and our next door neighbour.
  4. Having the back garden designed and laid out by a professional gardening company.
  5. Maybe a short holiday or two.
2 Likes

@Boot

It’s weird because I first knew about hayboxes from a very old children’s book I read when I was a tot “The Children who lived in a Barn”, anyone else read it?

You don’t have to buy a haybox, lots of enterprising frugal folk are making their own from polystyrene and recycled card! How crusty is that!? :rofl:

YouTube making a hay box

1 Like

:rofl: And sometimes when he tastes my efforts, I think the old man would pay me £2 quid a day not to go on there!

1 Like

Dont know about you but when we go out to eat nowadays we’re more than happy to just have some starters or even share a main course. Funny to think how much we used to eat and have a 3 course meal plus a few drinks. Now it’s a lime and soda and one course between us, then an afternoon nap for him while I finish off my wifely chores.

1 Like

:rofl::joy:…you are funny,Maree…:joy:…I so get your humour.:+1:

2 Likes

@AnnieS, Can you still get a laptop off the shelf Annie??
Last l heard was cars and electronic goods have to be ordered now
Due to the lack of chips ??
Cars require a deposit before an order is placed?
Maybe before your order is completed the price may have gone up ??
Donkeyman! :+1::grin::grin::+1:

Well they are delivering it tonight along with a new keyboard and a couple of new mice (one wired one wireless). The keyboard I use for work has been used so much the keys are wearing through!

The laptop I’ve ordered is the same model as I currently use but it was out of stock for ages at Argos last year because of lockdown maybe. I saw it was there today and thought better buy while I can. It’s on a buy now pay 6 months later so win win!

Hi

A lot of people live on very low incomes.

They do not have the ability to spend, spend, spend and have no way of increasing their incomes.

It is a real struggle for them to both eat and heat.

1 Like

That’s very true Swimmy … I dread to think how they will manage in the coming years. :worried:

1 Like

@swimfreders, that’s dead right Swimmy!
Myself, l think l will survive up to next winter , then we will battle due
to the new energy tariffs !
With regards to my ’ spend, spend, spending’ l am limiting it to buying
a pre paid funeral service which l have seen advertised. !!
Donkeyman! :+1::grin::grin::+1:

1 Like

I have taken the exhortations in this thread to heart and have ordered a 3D printer. I hope it is a good enough one, the reviews on line weren’t much help to be honest - this one has mixed reviews but the price was in the Goldilocks zone.

2 Likes

Foxy, Plus the chance they will go out of date whilst stored in your cupboards.
Sometimes it’s false economy to stock up on some things.
It’s best to check the dates at purchase so that you don’t end up chucking stuff out, thus wasting money.

1 Like

Absolutely Arty, we will be on windows 13 in a blink of an eye…
:astonished:

1 Like

I don’t think the laptop and carpets/flooring will pass their sell by date any time soon. Coffee beans and tea are all best before Autumn 2023 so I think I am pretty safe. I always check bbe dates and only buy stuff that will definitely be used regularly. But I haven’t been hoarding food or buying bags of pasta.

At the moment I’m more interested in low power electronic goods or manual versions of electronic goods that will reduce the reliance on high power consumption. In terms of the laptop I was trying to buy that last year as it’s a model I like and was delighted to see it back in stock. But I am interested in Pixie’s wind up radio, the solar powered charger that was on the same page, anything that won’t waste energy. I don’t splurge on impulse buys but am planning ahead because who knows we may end up with power cuts or breaks in energy supply the way things are heading. Best case scenario is that it reduces carbon footprint, so win win. Global supply chains are breaking down and we will see increased shortages in the future.

What are you going to make Bruce?

I have few projects in mind, some electrical components; for example - make an adapter so I can use the 18v batteries that come with my Makita electric drill for other purposes. Also there have been many occasions recently where small plastic parts have broken and unable to be repaired and replacements were expensive or unavailable.

However I am sure that the first task will be to learn to use it and the software that makes it work. I intend to use OpenScad, a free, open source software so I have to learn the scripting language that makes it work.

It will be interesting if nothing else.

1 Like

Look forward to seeing some of your projects.

Reducing my ‘carbon footprint’ will be way down on my list of priorities Annie…
In fact, it’s not even on my list…
:sunglasses:

It’s not my objective in this exercise but if it does help then great.