Things we seldom see in homes anymore

What is it?

3 Likes

This is Grandmothers biscuit barrel. I don’t suppose many people use such things anymore.

And her old hot water bottle

5 Likes

Hair dryer. Home version of
mag-21WMT-t_CA0-articleLarge

4 Likes

@Danny Those were the days when you could replace tv parts. I can’t decide if that tv is cool or hideous. I like the laser disc player though. My older cousin had one of those hairdryers, it was pink, she was very sophisticated. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Roj_Blake We use to bribe my little brother to sit and hold the aerial. My mum still has a tape recorder and tapes, not sure if it works.

@DianneWoollie Was that before they had the little girl in the middle?

@Minx I had a walkman but don’t remember 8 tracks.

@PixieKnuckles It’s a hairdryer. You put your rollers in and put the plastic cap over your head and plugged it in. I think the pink thing is the extension so you could walk around while your hair was drying.

@Maver-rik It’s actually very similar to a Poole Pottery biscuit barrel mum has. I saw one of those bed warmers in a museum :grinning:

6 Likes

Hand mincer.
Always reminds me of the Pink Floyd video Another brick in the wall

6 Likes

I Purchased a modern attachment that you can use as a mincer of meat…but the main reason it also can make sausages…it arrived

got the mince and breadcrumbs etc…where do you buy the skins though… :innocent:.

2 Likes

I remember “helping” my mother with her Mouli mincer. I loved turning the handle, and also using the wooden thing to press what ever she was mincing down.

1 Like

@Tr1sh this is Clarice Cliff, but I doubt it is off much value as it has a chip in the rim.

1 Like

You just can’t get antimacassars these days, I have tried because I want a set for my armchairs.

You don’t see macassar oil these days but I don’t know any other name for them.

2 Likes

LOL - so did mine - it scared me witless!

Mother had one of those. I’m glad to say mine is electric - makes great sausages!

Ok, I’m going to guess that antimacassars are the bit of material that sit over the end of your armchair? And the Macassar oil is to get any marks out of the fabric?

Macassar oil is like Brylcream and used the same way. My old man would not go out without using Brylcream

1 Like

Not quite - Antimacassers went over the backs of chairs and sofas to mop up the Macasser oil with which gentleman smoothed their hair.

1 Like

Ahhh…well I was kind of almost right about the fabric markings then :smiley: Hey I didn’t even ask Google, so I’m quite chuffed with myself!

…and the arms of chairs also. They used to come in a set of three pieces.

I don’t use hair oil but I do often come out of the garden sweating which stains the chair.

1 Like

My mother was very keen on those and was forever straightening them to the annoyance of one and all.

Paraphernalia for maintaining an open coal fire.Tongs,bellows,etc…

1 Like

@Maver-rik That’s a shame but a nice thing to keep.

@Bruce You can buy them on

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=antimocasser&ref=nav_bb_sb

and

(not sure if I have done the links properly).

Cut throat razor.
I never had the concentration to attempt a shave with one.

1 Like