Things we seldom see in homes anymore

One of the topics which popped up in conversation with friends today was toilet seat covers (no idea why!) Do you remember them? I recall visiting my friend’s granny and she had a fluffy pink toilet seat cover with a matching pedestal mat and she had knitted a pink cover for toilet rolls.

I think it was my nan who always had a bowl of plastic fruit on the table which reminds me, do you remember the home cocktail bars? One of my aunts use to have one and she had a silver cocktail shaker on the bar shelf with a couple of plastic lemons next to it. I guess the bar would be worth a few bob today.

What household things do you remember which we don’t see anymore?

2 Likes

Wash boards and bluebags. The old copper boiler in the outhouse where Nan used to do the washing with a coal fire below the copper …ah, such memories says he with the sound of the gas mantle popping in his head as it’s extinguished :wink::+1:

1 Like

Grandfather Clocks, we always had one in the hall since I was tiny. I used to love the deep sounding lazy sort of tick tock it made. I got it after my parents passed but eventually it gave up the ghost as there was no one able to do the yearly overhaul and check. I put it in the sale room a few years back for repair or spares. I still miss it.

1 Like

@LongDriver I never saw a wash board but I know what it is but, bluebags? I also have never heard a gas mantle popping but it sounds quite romantic.

These might help:-

Gas lighting in the Victorian and Edwardian home (1900s.org.uk)

Laundry bluing, Reckitt’s blue, dolly blue, washing whitening (oldandinteresting.com)

1 Like

@Rox Thank you for posting that as I had forgotten the grandfather clock we had in the hallway but now you remind me I can recall my dad winding it up and putting the key inside the cabinet. They did have a lovely, calming sound.

@LongDriver Thank you too for the links. I love the Dolly Blue bags with the mixing sticks.

Primus , tilley lamps.

1 Like

Did anyone have brass in their house?. A few family members had those decorative horseshoe things, and it was my job growing up to polish them to a high shine with the Brasso and a soft cloth.

1 Like

I remember the blue bags and a cookoo clock, used to like the clock.i just about remember the clothes wringer then my mom had a twin tub washing machine.

2 Likes

I remember my dad had a cream coloured home cocktail bar in the front room.
Just like this one.

3 Likes

@caricature I am pretty sure some of the fishermen used Primus, tilly lamps or something very similar when we use to go night fishing, not that I fished but the then boyfriend did, I was in charge of the keepnet :icon_rolleyes:

@PixieKnuckles Like they have in country pubs? I remember Brasso, cleaned a necklace with it once and it turned everything black!

@logan1 My nan had a wringer and mum had a twin tub, she use to open the lid and stir it with a wooden clapper thing. I still remember that lovely smell of soap suds.

@Roj_Blake Oh my goodness! That is a posh bar Roj, my aunt would have been envious! Hers was more Vera Duckworth.

2 Likes

My Grandparents had a paraffin heater, I would have known their house blindfolded by the smell from that heater. I think the paraffin was pink.

2 Likes

Yes that’s right with the twin tub.

2 Likes

We had a wash house with a big cast iron tub. It was set inside a brick fireplace with a wood burning grate that could regulate fire to heat the tub. That was long before washing machines, twin tub or otherwise.

3 Likes

My parents had a paraffin heater in the 80s to save on the storage heaters.

2 Likes

@Maver-rik We had a paraffin heater but nearly set the house alight so it was replaced by a big stove type thing and I remember dad having to go and buy those big Calor gas bottles to fill it, kept us all very warm and cosy in the winter though.

1 Like

@logan1 Those twin tubs were pretty good.

@Besoeker Sounds like hard work, glad I arrived a bit later :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Turn-a-Working-Console-TV-into-a-Piece-of-Art-4
I remember as a kid around 10 years old I had an old tube TV in my room. It had broken, and I was trying to fix it. Accidently hit the back of tube and got knocked across the room. :face_with_head_bandage:

6 Likes

5 Likes

That’s right. Now raise your right leg. almost there… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes