Thin horizontal lines on monitor

when I first turn my computer on there are some thin horizontal lines on the screen, then it turns black ,then comes back on again, could t be the monitor or mouse

I’m no expert, but I’d say monitor, the mouse only moves the cursor plus right and left click .

thanks, I thought it might be the monitor, when the screen goes off then on again…

Or even the computer on the blink, they will fail eventually with constant on and off, our electronics guy at work say’s its best to leave them on even overnight .

I leave mine on overnight, what I mean by the screen going black when I turn it on, it’s when I turn the monitor on…my computer’s about 5 years old now

There are three possibilities:
1/ The graphics card in the computer may be faulty. A simple check can be made by hooking up to another monitor, but how easy that is depends of course upon what you’ve got be it laptop or desktop, etc.
2/ The cable from the graphics card to the monitor could be developing a fault. It’s an easy check on a desktop because you can just swap cables (and if you haven’t got one, they’re cheap & easy to source) but it’s a different story altogether on a laptop & can be much more complicated.
I have had these cables suddenly develop faults a few times over the years.
3/ The monitor/screen may be developing a fault. If it’s a seperate monitor from a desktop computer, first check that all cables are in place and are a good fit. If they are, try another screen if that is practicable.

You’ve not said whether it’s a laptop or a desktop but my suspicion from what you’ve said is that your screen is developing a fault, but I would be checking as above were it me.

It’s reckoned the worst time for problems with computers is when they are booted up or run down. I’ve always left mine on 24/7 to combat this problem. One Mac I had, a G4 (with blue front if anyone knows Macs) was on day and night for 12 years without problems. There is usually a screen saver for monitors to prevent the screen image being imprinted on the screen and also a ‘Sleep’ option for the computer itself.
:grinning:

If there’s a ‘screen saver’ option you could set that up and then leave the monitor on along with the computer itself. All I have to do with mine is to tap a key, put in the pass code and then the computer ‘wakes up’ along with the screen. Hope your rnonitor has some life in it yet, in my experience they do last some years I’ve found.
:grinning:

I took the 2 cables for the monitor out and gave them a wipe and put them back, same with the one that goes into the computer…desk top I have .it was fine when I started it up this time, hope it was maybe just a loose cable, I’ll soon find out…thanks for all your answers…much appreciated

I wouldn’t worry about it. I’ve got an eight year old HP All-In-One: no cables, and I’ve been seeing funky lines at start-up for the last three years.

But anyway I think I’ll put it in hibernation mode most nights from now on.