The written English language is a frustration

Let’s look at the word once.
Why is it not written wonce ?
It was written as such, but we need to go back to the 16th century where there is an example.
The rebell wonce in Rorie O More shewed himselfe, withe about 500 foote and 40 horse, 2 myles from our campe.
(The rebel, Rorie O More wonce showed himself, with about 500 foot soldiers and 40 horses, 2 miles from our camp.)
Someone, somewhere down the track decided to change the spelling to once.

Probably because it’s ONE time (once)
not WON time?

1 Like

The origins of the word goes back many centuries before 1600.

Old English for one was “aene” - from around 1200 the adverbial form was “anes” - I suppose pronunciation shifted over time.

I can’t see why one would wish to spell the word beginning with a “w” - if you want to go for totally phonetic spelling, then should we change our numbering system to

Won, Too, Three, For, Five, Six, Seven, Ate, Nine, Ten ? :wink:

2 Likes

Let’s remember that language just evolves and changes over time. It’s never someone who can make such a decision but lots of people who start using a word (and the language as such) in a specific way which will then be included in standard reference books as the accepted norm.
There are numerous examples where the use of a grammatical case which used to be considered wrong usage have gradually become acceptable so that two variants coexist until one variant disappears.

2 Likes

Back in 1599 there were no rules, and now we have rules we still make it up as we go along. Anyway, wasn’t Rorie O More Irish?
:crazy_face:

1 Like

Correct.
Rory Oge O’More was an Irish noble and chief of the O’More clan. As the Lord of County Laois, he rebelled against the Tudors’ sixteenth-century conquest of Gaelic Ireland.

1 Like

@Bretrick As different ages pass, most languages change in their written form. As a wordsmith and a past crossword compositor, I find this both fascinating and endearing. If you think English is odd, then be thankful you do not use Yiddish, which is Judeo-German (a West Germanic language) and based on High German with added elements taken from Mishanic Hebrew. Added to that, there are Eastern and Western dialects :woozy_face:
My wife is Swedish and of course learning her language was a prerequisite for me, but I was very lucky in that most languages are somewhat easy for me to learn and become a fluent speaker; the written word is more difficult. Now this said, my wife does speak and write fluently in English, but in times of stress, she reverts to Swedish and I have to follow or become left out of the profanities😉

Well that was a hell of a read. :smile:
A Treatise on the Astrolabe.
A message to his son in Middle English
Lyte Lowys my sone I aperceyve wel by certeyne evydences thyn abilite to lerne sciences touching nombres and proporciouns . And as wel considere I thy besy praier in special to lerne the tretys of the astrolabie . … therfore have I yoven the a sufficient astrolabie as for oure orizonte compowned after the latitude of Oxenforde, upon whiche bye mediacioun of this litil tretys, I purpose to teche the a certain nombre of conclusions apertenying to the same instrument.…. This tretis*… wol I shewe the under full light reules and naked wordes in Englisshe: for Latyn canst thou yit but small, my litel sone

Little Lewis, my son, I have well perceived from clear evidence your ability to learn sciences concerned with numbers and proportions. And I also take into account your earnest request specially to learn the treatise of the astrolabe… I have therefore given you an astrolabe appropriate for our horizon, calibrated to the latitude of Oxford, about which, through the means of this little treatise, I intend to teach you a certain number of propositions pertaining to the same instrument…. I will expound this treatise to you with very easy discourse and simple words in English, for you as yet know only a small amount of Latin, my little son.

1 Like

Likewise … I’m an authority on Portuguese swear words.

I was trying to find how many words are more-or-less the same in Portuguese as in English

Portuguese is 80% Latin, but English only 28%, I thought that figure was higher.

Wiki says:
English is
French, including Anglo-Norman (28.30%)
Latin, including modern scientific and technical Latin (28.24%)
Germanic languages (Old English, Old Norse, Dutch) (25%)
Greek (5.32%)
No etymology given (4.03%)
Derived from proper names (3.28%)
Other (5.83%)

1 Like